What's new

literally have no idea what to buy (1 Viewer)

Dan C

Agent
As of yesterday I had planned to buy a Denon 3803, Aragon 2005 5 channel amp, Ronco 710 projector, 110 inch Stewart fixed screen, Monster 5100 clean power stage 4, Denon dvd player (can't remember which one but the price was around 600.00), and a Klipsch Ultra 2 surround package (7.1).

I went to the store today and everything went wrong! That Denon is not THX so we were going to go with Aragon Stage One amp and processor (I have a thing about having things match, OCD). The DVD player was not THX so everything was switched to Integra.

Instead of Denon I am going with Integra 7 channel home theater amp, Integra preamp/processor, Integra dvd player, Monster 5100 clean power stage, Sharp HD2 12000 projector, 120 inch Stewart fixed screen, Monster 200 clean power, Klipsch Ultra 2 THX surround package. I am not sure if I am going to buy a scaler now because I am not sure what it is and if it is necessary (don't forget I am new to this and trying to learn as I go. Also what is a line doubler and is it necessary?

The sales people kept saying Integra is sooooo go it is made by Onkyo. What do you guys think? Aragon, top of the line Denon, others?

I wanted to go with the Sharp from the begining but today we found out thar the Runco would not work due to the screen size and the heights of my platform and floating ceiling.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Paul His

Agent
I think the most important thing you can do is keep your money away from the sales people until you know what you want.

Hang around here and other sites and read and read.

Think about and learn about THX also - it is simply a set of standards and certification, not the be-all end-all of home theatre. There are a lot of really good HT systems out there without a single THX logo on them.

Paul

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
I wouldn't let the fact that some products are THX certified or not, effect what you are going to buy. If it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside to have that logo on your home theater then by all means, but it doesn't mean that a product without the THX certification isn't as good or better. All the manufacturers you named have fine products and will perform well, if a certain piece in your system isn't what you thought it would be after setting it up, then just take it back and try another one. Your home theater dealer shouldn't have a problem with this, and if they aren't willing to work with you in achieving your goal then they aren't worth doing business with.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
You really need to find a dealer/installer that has your interest as his first priority.
A dealer that knows the product strengths and weaknesses not only within his lines but others lines outside of his reach and is not worried about a lost sale because his lines are not a good fit for your needs. This is rare as any dealer worth beans should have several options available to nearly fit most needs of the average to above average buyer. These dealers can articulate the what, where’s and why's to you in such a manner that this experience is not in a foreign language, resulting in something you actually understand. These dealers are very hard to come by, but they can be found, often they add real value to your project and in the end you’re happy with no regrets.
It's like when you finally find a barber/hair stylist that does it just right, you will always want to go back.
In the end these dealers are motivated to also provide an added value to you for jobs of this magnitude.
My advise for you is take your time, research, find a good knowledgeable friend or dealer to help you along the way.
-Jerry

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yeah, you *DEFINATELY* need to go do some reasearch. It would seem that you have a good sized budget to work with, and so you have many many possibilities. You need to research. And then you need to *CONFIRM* the research by *AUDITIONING*. Even changing an amplifier with the same set of speakers will produce a change in the sound.

And while it's neat to have THX emblazened on all your equipment, like has been said, there are other exceptional products made by manufacturers who have not bothered to license their products with THX. They have some neat THX post-processing modes for audio, which I use on my Pioneer Elite receiver, but others may not have a use for it.

And like has also been suggested...find a dealer who is more intent on having you make the *right* purchase than make *a* purchase.

Dan C

Agent
I appreciate your skeptism of my purchases but I am not looking for only the THX logo. I will admit that I would like them to all be THX certified but that is because I really, really need things to match. Severe OCD is the reason for this. I understand that piecing together a HT is the best way to go but I cant force myself to do that. So I look for good combinations of the same manufacturer and try to make them work. Look I understand this does not make much sense but my whole life has been this way and I am ok with it. Yes I have seen someone but I am not hurting anyone but myself and that is ok. On that note what would you recommend?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Dan,

I understand where you are coming from. Making the DVD player part of the matching really does limit your options. However, if the DVD has to match, then the Integra separates are hard to beat. btw, what type of discounts are you getting?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
There is nothing wrong with Pioneer ELITE gear either. I bought my VSX-45TX new in the box for a little over 700 bucks. Retail was 1400 at the time. I bought it when it first came out. It is THX select. I came from a seperates background; Marantz AV-9000/Rotel 985THX mkII. I switched mainly because I didnt use it except about two hours a week at the most. I thought I wouls sell my seperates and get by with a receiver. I am here to tell you it was the best move I ever made. Actually I think my HT system sounds better now with the receiver than with the seperates. I find myself listening and watching more now with the "lesser" setup and enjoying it more.:emoji_thumbsup:

DanaA

Screenwriter
I have the Integra 9.4 pre/pro and think it is absolutely wonderful. I don't know if your referring to that pre/pro or the new offering by Integra Research. That said, I agree with all those that have posted their suspicions about the salesperson. Maybe he/she was trying to steer you the right way, but a red flag goes up in your situation. Integra is made by Onkyo; yes, and Denon is made by Denon. There seems to be no point there. Onkyo doesn't have a better rep than Denon.

So, I guess I'm agreeing that you should do some research and not rush into buying. Again, I think the Integra pre/pro is fantastic. But, a lot of people like other products in the same price range. I'd at least check out things such as the new Rotel 1068, NAD, or others in that price range. As far as power amps, there are a ton out there that will do a great job.

From having stumbled over my own impulsiveness in the past, I've learned that it is much better to do all the footwork up front, instead of regretting my decisions down the line, forcing me to upgrade later on.

One final note: By the looks of the type of gear you're considering, it sounds like your HT will be pretty wonderful when it all gets put together.

Happy hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks