Literal String Search

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Whealton, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Matt Whealton

I have not been able to stumble across how to do a literal string search on the forum.
    Is it allowed?

Without the ability to do literals, it is difficult to search for titles that consist of common words like 'More Tales of the City'.

Just wondering. Life will not end if this isn't implemented in the software. I suppose it could be a resource hog.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Matt,

On the search page you can search for words within posts. It suits me fine, if necessary. What is it you're looking for? Do you want to find posts with certain whole strings only instead of each word?

Cees

3. Matt Whealton

Yes, exactly. So you don't get so many false hits on a search made up of common terms. The string "Tales of the City" is much rarer than Tales+of+the+City. It only makes a real difference when all the words in the search are common. Then the threads returned are both numerous and often not relevant. I tried single quotes, double quotes and / / (used by grep and other regular expression pattern matchers in unix), but none appear to work.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    The way that the search function is set up it looks for each word instead of string of words. That is a function of vBulletin and they would have to change this.

Parker

5. Matt Whealton

Thank you both for getting back on this so quickly. Just thought I was missing something. Consider the inquiry closed.