What's new

LiteOn LVD-2010 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
I think thatit is sounding pretty promising as far as DVD players go. I can't seem to find out as to the exact date that this player will be avail. After many Google searches I did not come up with much other than on LiteOn's website and maybe a couple others. I did find out that it will be around 190 to 200 US dollars and about 250 Canadian Dollars. On the older model the LVD-2001, there was a thread that said that it did excellent PAL to NTSC conversion and that it could also be set to Region 0 by accessing the hidden menu. So in theory, to me that would mean that it could handle any kind of disc from anywhere in the world? Am I right....if so, I am sure that the new 2010 model would probably have the same features. Of course, no one will know for sure until it is released. One last thing and then I will stop rambling....On the older model the 2001...one of the big selling features was that it was able to convert to 720i or 1080i resolution using just a standard DVD. I have not noticed them mention that with the new model...is that still going to be a feature or have they got rid of that in favor of the ethernet feature. The ethernet feature does sound pretty good. I mean the ability to pull video and digital pictures and even music from your computer is awsome IMO. If anyone has heard anything, have any answers to these questions or just want to throw their 2 cents worth in...this the place.

Best Regards,
DF :D :D

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
My supplier lists an ETA of March 22nd (it was originall listed as "early March"). No idea if the 'hidden' menu will be there and I suspect nobody will know until the product ships.

The specs don't even mention 480p output, but I'm assuming that's a given. 720p/1080i is likely not present, but again, who knows for sure until the product ships.

The ethernet feature does sound very cool, and in my setup, very easy to implement. The question is, what's the user interface like? How do you navigate and select the files to play? Is there a PC software component?

I don't know the answers, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
So you are thinking that it will NOT have 720i and 1080i support?? I would think that it should since the older model did? I am really torn between a Lite On 2010 or the Malata DVP-520 . I need an All Region with a built in video converter that converts PAL to NTSC. I really wish we knew the definite features of the 2010. My thought on the ethernet issue. I would almost guess that it would have to be some sort of software bundle of some sort. I think they would have to make it so that "anyone" could do it and not just people that know the interworkings of your general ethernet network but I could be wrong? :frowning:

I wonder if they will have a software bundle set up where you load some sort of software on your computer and anything you want to view on the DVD player has to be in that specific file and then the NIC in the player will always look for that folder. Just a thought....not sure...I guess we will wait and see. If anyone else knows anymore info...please share.

DF

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Probably not, since the newer LVD-2002 doesn't support it either, no reason really to implement it into the 2010...

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
What about region free and PAL to NTSC conversion? Did the 2002 model have any of that? I really like what I hear about the ethernet port on the 2010 but I am trying to find out if it will play any DVD from anywhere. I figure if the older model had it there is a chance the newest model will.

Thanks,
DF

Jay Blair

Second Unit
The LVD-2002 has PAL to NTSC coversion and the hidden menu for setting any region code, including region 0. It is basically a 2001 without the card reader and without the upscaling.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
But the 2002 has the same chipset as the 2001, which is capable of the scaling. So, the lack of scaling is purely a firmware 'choice'.

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
So in theory, are you saying that the 2002 could go to 1080i resolution with an upgrade of the firmware? Also, do you know if any of the LiteOn models can play any DVD like a Malata can?

Thanks,
DF

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
Found out some more stuff on the newest DVD player from LiteOn. I read on their America based website that the 2010 will come with some sort of "Media Server Applet" bundled with the player. You have to install that on your PC and then...they claim..(I don't know if it will be this smoothly but) they claim that with the hit of a button on the remote you can pull up a list of all your stored video files, still digital photos and audio files that are stored on your computer. If it runs that easily with no bugs then that will be truly impressive. That is about all for now. Until next time.

See ya,
DF:D

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
And that's just what I'm hoping for, Darren. I'd love to have full access to my PCs A/V files in that fashion!

Fingers crossed that it works as simply as they say!

TedE

Stunt Coordinator

No, I think this has been tried with no success. Folks who missed out on the 2001 picked 2002's up in the hope that the firmware upgrade would take and allow upscaling, but to my knowledge it doesn't work. Or if it has somebody is keeping an awfully big secret ;).

The new Norcent is a clone of the LVD-2001 and takes the firmware. There's also a new Zenith payer on the horizon whose specs indicate that it will do 720/1080 over component. Check out the multiple 2001/2002/"component-upscaling player du jour" threads over at avsforum for more detail.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm interested in the Divx support of this player, was the 2002 a good Divx player for Xvid files? What was the interface like. THe Streaming nature would also be nce but even with my G setup Streaming video without stuttering is always problematic

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Don't have much Divx stuff myself, but a customer came in with a fist-full of discs he wanted to try and they all played without problems...much to his surprise, really!

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
I thought this player was going to be released today but I have not seen it anywhere. Does anyone know when the release date is?

Thanks,
DF

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
Still no word as to when this player will really be released?? I guess we won't really know until it is released. If anyone has any new news please share. :D

Thanks,
DF

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Just checked this morning...April 26th has become Dec. 31, 2009....meaning no firm ETA. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks