What's new

Liteon DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,

My DVD Player just started going out within the last hour. I was all set on the Denon 1600 as I've been reading this forum for a while and everyone seemed to like it so I knew when I bought a new one, that I was going to get it or the Philips DVD963SA. Now, I see all these review about the Liteon and upscaling all DVDs to 1080i.

I thought since DVDs that you buy off the store shelves were all in 480 format so I can't understand how it can "upscale" to 1080i. Also, I thought everyone seemed to like the Faroudja chipset and the Liteon doesn't have it.

I'd like to get some opinions on what DVD Player to buy. I watch a LOT of movies. Music does not matter since I don't listen to CDs often. I would like the DVD Player to play MPEG 4 format since I've got a Panasoinc SV-AV10 video camera that records in that format (it records on a SD memory card).

One other thing, I rent a lot of DVDs also, if it is possible, I'm looking for one that can deal with scratches.

I'd like to keep the budget around $2000 or so.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Any resolution can be scaled to any other resolution, really. The extra lines are determined through a process called interpolation.

1080i is a interlaced resolution and the Faroudja chips perform de-interlacing. Since you're running an interlaced resolution, no de-interlacing is necessary

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Actually, because I watch so many movies, I meant $2,000.00. This was what I was budgeting because I thought I would have to spend this much just to get a good one with great picture quality. However, the more I learn on this forum that is not always correct.

I like the idea of the Liteon upscaling to 1080 regular DVD movies as this would seem to give the best picture quality if it does this properly. As I said, I thought the Denon 1600 or Philips 963sa was for me until all these posts about the Liteon.

If you or anyone, can tell me what I should buy for this price for the best picture quality for movies, that would be great, along with the MPEG4 format of course.

I understand that you have to do comparisons, etc. to decide for yourself what you prefer but isn't there a difference among dvd players similar to cars? I know if I'm buying a Cadillac I'm getting a really good car as opposed to some cheaper model. I know this is sounds dumb but isn't there a Cadillac DVD Player out there that someone can just point me to?

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, there *isn't* a Cadillac player that's the best at everything--that's why there is so much debate about these things on home theater forums. You have to decide what's most important to you, then sort thru what's out there, reading reviews as you go. Then once you've made up your mind, another new player or even several new players will come along and confuse the issue. Some folks have purchased several players within the past year--I saw a post today where one person is on his sixth new player in 12 months...

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah...that "one person" is me. (Speaking from within the doghouse...)

I can't even imagine spending more than $300-$500 on a DVD player nowadays...even if I were a multi-multi-millionaire. The technology in the DVDP world is both changing and improving (sometimes not at the same time) so much that your $2000 player would be equal to a $200 player in a year...maybe less.

Save your pennies for something else. You'll thank us in the end.

Oh...and the Liteon just ROCKS!!!! :)

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Okay then. . .I'm getting the Liteon. I'll let you know what I think (I picked up a real cheap pioneer from wal-mart over the weekend because I needed something in the meantime).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks