Lite-ON CD-RW Drives

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllanN, Apr 3, 2002.

1. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Im thinking about getting a new CD-RW to replace my old 2x burner. Has anyone out there had any experiene with the Lite-On 16x EIDE drive?

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Lite-On makes very good drives. Drives from a lot of other manufacturers are rebadged Lite-On's. The 16X is a good drive in my experience, I don't have one but I've installed them for five different people and they are all happy. Can't beat 'em for the price. Their new 40X drive is nice too.

3. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

Although my preference runs to Plextor, Lite-On makes decent budget priced burners. Whichever model or brand you go with, make sure it has "Burn-Proof" (eliminates coasters).

4. Brian Ooten

Brian Ooten Extra

The liteon driver incoporate features that current plextor/Teach/Etc.. runs do NOT include(correct ECM encoding(safedisc2)). As far as burners are concerned, the lite ons are as good as they get.

5. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Allan,
    >>Im thinking about getting a new CD-RW to replace my old 2x burner. Has anyone out there had any experiene with the Lite-On 16x EIDE drive?
    I have the 24X Lite-On drive and it is great. No problems at all for me. Why get the 16 speed one when you can get the 24 or 32 speed for under $100? You can always use a slower burning speed with the faster drive but you cannot go faster with a slower one. [​IMG]
    My only complaint about the Lite-On CDRW is the lack f a good manual. However I can happily say that I have not needed one. Plus it came with Nero burning software which works great with Windows XP.
    Try www.newegg.com for great prices and fast shipping on Lite-On Drives.
    Glenn

6. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

I have a Lite-on 24x10x40x cd-r/rw. It works perfectly with winxp and came with Nero and Burnproof. Cheap too.

7. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Im using a 16X Lite On burner myself... couldn't be happier.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I also have a 24x10x40x Lite-On CD-RW drive, and it's a nice performer. I've also found the bundled Nero to be a nice piece of software, and I do use this drive/software combo regular and it hasn't failed me (except due to user error).

9. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

i have the same 24x burner and couldn't be happier..

10. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I have a 24x10x40 Lite-On and I've been mostly happy with it. It's an OEM model and sometimes "wigs out" and won't be recognized by the BIOS. Supposedly this is a problem with noisy power supplies or something - it only happens like 1 in 15 reboots, and I don't reboot often.

My friend with the same model, only the Retail version has never had these problems, so spend a little extra and get the retail. Other than that I highly recommend them.

11. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

I installed a lite-on 24x10x40 in my Mac G4 and it has been a wonderful piece of equipment. Much cheaper than the usual drives that are advertised as mac-compatible, and much quieter than the dvd-rom that came in the computer.

12. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Personally, I don't have a Lite-On burner, I have a Phillips. But if you are looking for a good deal on one check out this link. Dell has a 40x12x48 CDRW for $89 shipped. I have not checked this out, I just noticed it on that website. Happy hunting.

13. Shiva Singh

Shiva Singh Extra

I've had a lite on 24x for a few months, and have been completely happy with it. I've routinely burned 10-12 discs in a row at 24x (16x Imatation media) with no problems at all.

If speed is a concern for you, then by all means get the 40x burner. It's not that much more expensive, but it's only about a minute faster for cd-r compared to a 24x burner. The big feature IMHO is the faster cd-rw speed (12x). As someone who backs up a lot of data, it adds up.

Rob Speicher, I had a similar problem with a computer that did this. It turns out the problem was with the other device attached to the EIDE channel. When I replaced that drive, the cd-rw worked perfectly again.

14. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor