What's new

Lists Of How Well Things Sell???? (1 Viewer)

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a way to trace how well things sell- Im curious to see how well things sell and also if, for example, things get less popular as the seasons get higher for sales

Chad

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I asked Dave L (TSoD) this question a while back and if I remember there's not anything readily available for us folks outside the industry. I do know of one series that's sold so well it's the only TV/DVD series that I'm aware of that announced all of its season's release schedules before the release of S2. The series is "Combat!" (the 60's WWII TV series). That happens to be one of my "fanatic" series :D . Image is releasing all 5 seasons because sales of S1 were "better than expected".
I'm a little surprised that some of the other top-selling series haven't had all of their season's release announced. Maybe they have but I'm unaware of any other series like "Combat!".

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
There's a company that provides the data for sales number (VideoScan), but I heard from someone at a studio that a 1 year subscription starts at $30,000. I don't think we'll be getting a subscription any time soon.

Gord

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
I would think (and hope!) that with the advent of DVD sales being so popular and collectible (there has been so much press in the New York Times the last week discussing DVD sales beating out Box Office revenue) that a site like Box Office Mojo would form for DVDs. Here's hoping!

John McM

Second Unit
I think sites like this would be great for those of us who wanna know when the next season of something is coming, so in case then someone who really wants another Who's The Boss set or something knows how many copies to buy as presents to get Sony to say season 2 is on the way

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Those lists could be impending DOOM for studios. Knowing how well something sold, puts too much control in the consumers hands (which could be bad).

Example: You'd piss off people if they knew a set sold well and the price (for future sets) didn't come down (or went up). You'd also lose out on potential sales because consumers may wait to see if season 1's sell well before purchasing season 2.

The above 2 are just a couple of examples of why these numbers shouldn't be published. Again, as much as these numbers can help the consumer, it could also hurt sales (which isn't what the consumer wants).

My theory, if you are afraid to buy something because future releases may not come out...then don't buy it and put your money toward something you REALLY want. ;)

As much as I would have LOVED the rest of "Son of the Beach", am I upset that I was only able to buy season 1??? Hell NO! Why would I NOT buy this set? How is NO DVD set better than 1 season set???

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I thought that all the seasons of Combat were announced before season 1 was released...

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

Thanks for reminding me.
We want more Tony Micelli!!
Where's season 2??
:D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

You might be right about that. I remember that there was a tentative release schedule posted on the Combat! TV Fan site but I had thought that it was after S1 was out. Image then looked at the #'s and published the tentative schedule for the remaining 4 seasons. Either way, as a Combat! fanatic and member of that forum, I was :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
When I posted news about S1, I included a tentative schedule for all the other series through the 5th. The scheudle changed a bit, but otherwise it's all happened as Image told me it would.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks