What's new

Listing the Movies You've Seen (1 Viewer)

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have this friend who, after watching every movie, would go to his computer and type down what he had just watched and who directed it, etc. I used to think he was nuts but now I wish I would have done that because I would really like a pretty accurate list of all movies I have seen.

I was wondering if there were any websites that helped out in this process because I cannot remember the movies right off the top of my head and would need to see the title in front of me to remember seeing it. Meaning that I would need to see all movie titles and then check the ones off that I saw. Is there any site like this or will have I just have to go to a movie site and try to do it somehow that way? Thanks for your input.

-Eric

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Jack's correct!
Here's how I did it:
Get the most recent "Maltin Guide" and whenever you have some free time, start at the beginning and circle every title you've seen. Once that's finished, start back at the beginning and crack open the IMDb. Search for the titles and rate them.
When you're finished, your Vote History will be comprised of all the movies you've ever seen. (Given, of course, that they're in the Maltin Guide.) After the project is complete, all you need to do is keep up with the new movies you've seen.
This project may take you a while, but there's no hurry to finish. (Decide ahead of time if you want to include stuff like TV movies, etc.)
Only the true movie freaks would even attempt this wacky of a project, but I could think of worse ways to spend my free time. :)

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you both the IMDB is great.
Scott, I was wondering if it was better to use the "Maltin Guide" than the IMDB section that provides a list of movies by year alphabetically? And also instead of voting I've been using the link on each movie's page that says "add to my movies" is this an alright way to go about it? I was confused by the voting history thing you were talking about. Thanks again.
-Eric

PS My girlfriend thinks I am crazy she just rolls her eyes and calls me a loser. ;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Eric-
Yeah, those alphabetical listings may be much easier than doing my "Maltin Guide" method.
As far as Vote Histories go, I'd do it that way over adding the titles to "My Movies". Try this: go to the IMDb page for Star Wars, and rate the whole series 1-10. Then when you check out your Vote History, that's where your listing will be.
Got that? ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I used to have this friend who, after watching every movie, would go to his computer and type down what he had just watched and who directed it, etc.
I used to do that a few years ago, back when my VCR was running almost 24 hours a day recording either TCM or AMC. I didn't make an attempt to go back and write down every movie I've seen in my life, but it sure helped for keeping up with the classics.

That was a great time. I'd watch at least one classic movie every night. I sort of got out of the habit when TV Guide took over the online program schedule they still run. The previous company let you set all kinds of parameters and would send you a daily e-mail telling you when movies matching said parameters were due to air. That really helped.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
This might make me appear to be over the edge, but my reminder for movies I've seen is a scrapbook with almost every ticket stub from 1991-present. Of course, this only is good for movies I saw in a theater, and only helps if the stub actually has a title on it. I like to stroll down memory lane occasionally with that. There's also a column I wrote for about two years in high school that ran in the local paper. I like to look back at the old newspapers and see what movies I reviewed and how I wrote about them.

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
I would definately fall into the true movie geek category.

In high school I started this with a note book just listing the titles with each page being a seperate letter. I would check the weekly tv book in the paper and added movies I had scene years before.

In college converted to Lotus 123 then converted to Excel and finally converted to Access. Each time I have added more data that I track. Currently I collect: Date of release, director, distributer, country and some actors among other things.

I started and went through Matlin, then Videohound, and now I go through IMDB when I get bored.

Currently I have over 2200 films listed.

I have also found that using the power search page lets me create custom film lists that let me increase the chance I've seen the film so I don't have to weed through movies that have never seen the light of day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks