What's new

Listening to tv through HT system?! (1 Viewer)

Jarret

Auditioning
I know this is a easy question but was hoping to get some assistance. I've already set up my HT system a little while back but hadn't bought any cables to listen to my tv through my system. So, do I just need one set of the red & white RCA cables...running them from the audio out on my tv to the audio in on my reciever? Anything special that I need to know? I have a Denon 3803 and a Panasonic TAU. Thanks for any help you guys have!

Also, anything special I need to do on the setup screen to get this working? Thanks!

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Turn the speakers on the tv off and set the volume on line out to fixed if possible. You just need a set of stereo rca cables.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
one other thing to consider.

if you set the audio-out to "fixed" then you'll have to use the ht remote to control the volume. not a big deal...just an fyi for ya.

Jarret

Auditioning
So, where do I set the audio-out to fixed and what does that do? The RCA's should be plugged into the "Audio In" L&R holes on the receiver...correct? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the audio-out fixed / variable thing may (or may not) be a feature of your tv. if it's a pretty new tv, then it's probably there.

you'll make that change via the tv's controls somewhere. most likely it'll be via the on-screen menu system or a switch in the back. check your manual to see if it talks about it.

having the audio set to variable allows you to control the amount of "sound" coming out of your tv's audio out jacks. so, when you turn the volume down on the tv, the amount of signal that comes out of the audio out jacks is reduced. in this way you can control the receiver's volume via the tv's remote.

having the audio set to fixed produces a constant fixed "signal" via the tv's audio output jack. messing around with the tv's volume control has no effect.

in my setup, i have my tv set to "fixed", then control the volume via my receiver.

yes, the plugs should go to the audio in on the receiver:

tv audio out ---> receiver audio in

Jarret

Auditioning
Thanks Tedd.

Last stupid question for you! :) There are 2 RCA connects on the back of my t.v. (New Panasonic 27" tau) and I'm not sure which to plug into.

1) "Audio Input"
2) "To Audio Amp"

I thought it was #2 but wasn't sure.

* And to clarify...having the tv set to fixed allows for the volumes to work independently (so to speak) so that you can control the volumes of the tv and receiver seperately. I'll check it out. Thanks a lot for the input.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
no problem.

it should be #2. #1 sounds like an aux input *into* the tv.

to clarify: the other way around. :D variable allows the two to work independently.

Jarret

Auditioning
Thanks Tedd. So, you suggest to set to fixed? It seems that variable would almost be better since you can control the receiver volume with the tv remote. Or maybe fixed is better since you can just use your receiver remote for everything.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
no problem jarret.

it's totally personal preference, but i think fixed is better. that way you have a constant signal (outputting at the correct voltage...or whatever...sorry, i'm not too technical) going to your receiver.

imagine if you had your tv set to variable. then, for some reason, you accidently turn the tv volume down too low. now your receiver won't get enough "signal" so you'll have to crank up the receiver's volume to compensate...which will make your receiver work harder and cause more distortion.

with a fixed signal, you only have to worry about your receiver.

but, like i said, it's really personal preference. if you go variable and keep your tv's volume at a decent level, then that will work just as well.

Jarret

Auditioning
Thanks so much for the help, Tedd. I'll try to get it hooked up tonight and the tv set to fixed. I'll have to let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much...you've been a tremendous help.

Jarret

Auditioning
Alright Ted, I'm back! :b Well, got the RCA's plugged in fine. Messed around with the settings on my tv and found the fixed vs. variable vs. the speakers on settings for the audio output. So, everything seemed to be working alright. I turn my receiver to "TV" and set it on stereo (switched between this and 5 channel stereo). I sit back and found out that I had to turn my receiver WAY up to hear much of anything and what I did hear had a lot of static. To make it worse, I was only really getting sound out of one of my fronts...the other front "barely" had any sound at all. So I'm thinking something isn't plugged in all the way. I check the plugs and everything seems fine. I sit back again to listen and now the right front has sound, where before it was the left!!! I'm like, "What the freak is going on?" My girlfriend is over and I asked what she did as she was messing with the remote but she said nothing. I then realize the tv is on a different channel than before!

So, I guess the conclusion is that the signal for those stations wasn't very good. Very weird. We cut on the major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC) and then there was sound, loud and clear through both speakers! I've heard that higher quality speakers pick up the imperfections of signals or recordings...Is that what is happening? Is there anything to do differently to help?

Thanks for any input. I'm so glad we at least figured out that was what it was. I was about to go insane! ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm..that's pretty bizarre. so, to clarify: on some stations the sound comes in loud and clear, but on others it's all whacked?

do you have digital cable? can you run the audio out directly from the cable box?

i guess you'll have to contact your cable provider and ask them about that.

high quality speakers can pick up imperfections, but the source has to be really clean. i doubt your cable provider is giving you that kind of signal.

just for giggles, i might recommend you swap out your input. connect something else (like your cd player) to the receiver's tv input. at least that way you'll know it's not the receiver's input causing the problem.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
If you have cable and very bad reception on some channels, this happens. Our fox station used to be like that.

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a question related to this: I have digital cable, and I'm using a Motorola box. I just bought a home theater, and now I'm running optical from the cable box to the reciever for sound. It sounds great, but now I can't control the volume with the cable box remote like I used to, when I was using the TV's speakers. The volume can be controlled only by the reciever now, which is a bit annoying to have to switch between remotes. I looked on the digital cable menus, and there isn't a setting for fixed volume or anything like that. I don't know the model of cable box, the reciever is a Sony DA1ES.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i feel like this thread has become my baby... :D

that's a common problem jeremy.

are either of the remotes programmable?

i don't believe the motorola remotes can be programmed to operate AV equipment (especially receivers), but i'm not sure. may wanna check with your carrier.

but...the sony remote (if programmable) should be programmable for your cable-box remote.

or, the best solution, is to pick yourself up a univeral remote and take care of it all in one whack. i have a mx-500 and it's replaced EIGHT of my other remotes.

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver remote is programmable, but I don't think that it would work for the cable box. I need the buttons like guide, page up, page down, info, exit, etc. Do you think a universal remote would be able to handle those "special" buttons? I also doubt the cable box remote will change the receiver volume. I think I may just be damned to remote fumbling for now.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Do you think a universal remote would be able to handle those "special" buttons?
yep...absolutely. take a look at some of the remotes out there. some of them already have buttons with those special labels.

or, if you get one with buttons you can label (like mine) then it's a null issue.

do a search on recommended remotes in the tweaking forum - you'll find TONS of info there.

also, check out www.remotecentral.com - it's the best site on the web.

Jarret

Auditioning
Well, sorry I've been a little slow to reply. I just have regular cable plugging into the wall of my apartment. I had bought just a generic RCA cable to run from my tv to my receiver. Would getting better cables, either to run from the wall to my tv or tv to receiver, increase the sound quality?

Not really sure what else to do and it may be something that I have to live with while I'm in the apartment. :frowning:

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks