What's new

Listening Modes...DTS...6.1? (1 Viewer)

JeffPh

Agent
Okay, here's a few very newbie questions.

First off, when choosing listening modes on my reciever, I get several choices... Pro Logic, Pro Logic II (cinema, music), NEO (cinema, music), CS II (cinema, music, mono). Can someone give me a brief description of these, and the differences. I looked through the manual, but it doesn't tell me squat.

Secondly, on the one DTS DVD I have, I tried enabling DTS (on both DVD and DVD player), but never got it as a listening mode. When I put the player on Bitstream, I only got stereo and 1 other mode. Do I have to have a 6.1 system to get DTS? Am I correct in the assumption that 5.1 and 6.1 has to do with how many speakers are connected?

I know these questions may seem silly, but so far this forum has been great at answering my questions. Also, does anyone know of another resource that I can use to get the info myself rather than having to ask these silly questions (a book for example)?

Jason GT

Second Unit
Jeff,

First of all, listing your equipment is sometimes helpful(ie, owners of those particular pieces might be able to give you hints).

Your last question first: have you read the HTF Primer ?

For surround modes:

Pro Logic, PL II, Neo6 and CS (I am assuming this is circle surround) are all designed to take a 2-channel stereo signal and synthesize/process it into multiple channels. They each do it slightly differently; how the exact algorithm works I don't know. :) Cinema and music use slightly modified algorithms of the same basic idea.

CS Mono? I don't know -- either it turns everything into a mono signal or else tries to derive multiple channels from a mono source.

DTS is NOT 6.1 only. 5.1 and 6.1 have nothing, really, to do with the number of speakers you have, though you won't be able to fully benefit from a 5.1 or 6.1 soundtrack if you don't have 5+1 or 6+1 speakers ;).

I can't really help you with your DTS question, aside from asking a question: how are your DVD player and Receiver hooked up? You will require a digital connection between DVD player and receiver to get digital sound, IIRC.

JeffPh

Agent
Jason, thanks for your reply.

In regards to reading the primer...yes I have read it..kind of. I have used it to answer a few specific questions in the past. After posting this thread, I went into the primer again, and read it (almost) front to back. I must say that I now feel enlightened and empowered:D . Once I got the hang of navigating through it, it proved to be an excellent resource.

In regards to my DTS problem, I went back and reread all my manuals, and think I know what my problem was (can't test it til morning...don't want to wake LOML).

Although I felt like I had gone through my manuals and the Primer rather extensively, I found that after a bit of time to get associated with my HTS, I had much more specific questions that required a second look.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and THANK YOU to this forum for being such an excellent "Mentor" in my initial journey into HTS.

AaronJW

Auditioning
I'm kind of having the same problem as you Jeff, in regards to the DTS problem. I have several DVD's with, but have been unable to get it to decode on my receiver. I have the following equipment: Sony STR-DE845 receiver, Sony DVP-S500 DVD player. I have an optical digital cable connected between the two.

In regards to speakers, I have Polks: R50's up front, CSI30 Center, RC60i rears, and a PSW350 sub. Normal cabling throughout with my sub connected via LFE.

I can get Dolby Digital no problem, its just the DTS that eludes me.

In DVD setup, I can only receive signal through the optical cable if I select PCM/Dolby Digital. PCM alone is no good, and D-PCM didn't seem like an obvious choice (downgraded PCM). I haven't tried using the 5.1 outputs from the DVD player...would that do it?

Is there something in the receiver setup i'm missing? Any ideas appreciated.

Drew Olufson

Auditioning
Aaron:

I also have the DVP-S500D Dvd player. It does not decode DTS, only Dolby Digital.

Hope that helps somewhat. :)

AaronJW

Auditioning
Drew:
Thanks, I knew the DVD player itself couldn't decode DTS. But my receiver can, and I was under the impression that by sending an optical signal to the receiver that I could still in fact decode DTS on the receiver. Is that where I'm mixed up?

Jason GT

Second Unit
Looks like the player is a bit old, from what I can dredge up on the web (1999?). That seems to predate the widespread existence of DTS.

That DVD player probably doesn't even "know" DTS exists. For you to get DTS, the player has to recognize and read the DTS signal, and then pass it on to your receiver.

I'm guessing your player COULD pass it on to the receiver, but doesn't recognize it and doesn't read it.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Jeff, check that the player is set to output DTS (bitstream, possibly also a specific DTS on/off option depending on the player) in its setup menu. Also make sure you have selected the DTS soundtrack on the disc itself; this is often in the disc's audio or language page.

Aaron, both the DVD player and processor must be DTS-compatible in order to get DTS soundtracks to work. Your DVD player isn't DTS-compatible, so you won't get DTS even though your receiver includes a DTS decoder.

Adam

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

In response, the primer was already mentioned, but you might also want to order a book or two. It will really fill in a lot of holes. The internet is a great resource for advanced knowledge, but you get snippets of advanced stuff with lots of holes left, as I'm sure you've experienced. And unless you want to totally immerse yourself, and try to dig through piles of information that might be way over your head, or way too basic, and sometimes just plain wrong, a book is a simple, and good place to start.

There are those idiots guide and the dummies guide to HT, which I wouldn't recommend, but they are there.

I'd recommend "Home Theater For Everyone: A Practical Guide to Today's Home Entertainment Systems " by Robert Harley. It's cheap, and very complete and up to date. I've flipped through it and it looked very good, and I have his Guide to High-End audio which is also well-done. Obviously EVERYTHING audio and video can't be included in one book, but this is a very good read all about HT.

There is another book, I've forgotten the title, but it's by Tomlinson Holman, but it was like 50 or 60 dollars, and was much less substantial and overpriced IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks