Listened to the AV-1s last night...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Mar 28, 2002.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Perhaps it doesn't need to be said, but I was very impressed. These particular units utilized the soft domes. All I can say is smooth, detailed, and a wonderfully deep soundstage.
    Though they do not have quite as good bass extension as my current mains (which is actually impressive considering it is only a 5-1/4" driver), they blended perfectly with my sub with no changes to my setup while doing an A-B compare.
    They are a tiny bit less sensitive, but bumping the volume up a tad (I did not recal my system with the GRs in place) yeilded what sounded to me to be a noticable, subtle improvement in detail and depth. While they are not the most incredible speakers I've ever heard, regardless of price point, these are some very, very fine speakers. At roughly the same price I paid for my mains, I felt the GRs sounded better.
    I am now strongly considering these kits. I have built my own subs previously, including the cabinet and crossover, with good results, but I gave up DIY for a long time. Perhaps it is time to start up the old hobby again...[​IMG]

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

John,

It sounds like your impressions are in sync with my own concerning the AV1's. And mine aren't even fully broken in yet! Just out of curiosity, what are you currently using as your mains?

Brian

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Brian, I believe it was your name that came up... [​IMG] Jeffrey Lam from here (HTF) lives not too far from me, and was cool enough to bring by a pair for a listen. (BTW, forgot to mention, Thanks Jeff!)
    I have had my Mini Monitors for a while and have been happy with them, but I started looking around for another small, quality bookshelf to replace a pair of Titans in my bedroom system. Now that I've found some new choices in Axiom and GR Research, I may consider upgrading my main system and putting the Minis in the bedroom instead. [​IMG]
    I ran into Jeff online here, and we got to talking, the result being the demo last night. He mentioned I might talk to you about some cabinets...?

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

5. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Brian, do happen to have a rough estimate for prices on cabinets for the AV-1+'s? I would like to make my own, which I could do, but your's just look so much more beautiful! [​IMG]

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Yah, I was at John's place last night doing some listening and talking. Again, I was very surprised with the Minimonitors as I always am when I hear them. Yet they didn't quite have the imaging and soundstage the AV1's had. Of course with the larger driver, the bass was louder and lower but to me seemed muffled and a little boomy. We didn't get a chance to directly A/B them as his receiver didn't have a B-ch output. I would like to A/B them sometime. I am also very curious as to how well the axioms will compare as well. Maybe someday I will get to hear them. And of course hopefully I will get to hear those ACI emeralds and sapphires someday.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer