What's new

Listened to $15k System for 1st time (1 Viewer)

JordanS

Second Unit
Just wanted to share an experience with you guys. My brother and I we're out at Home Depot looking for power tools, and I wanted to show him how awesome looking the Nautilus 805 cabinet was. So, we leave Home Depot, and go to the local high end home audio/video store.

In the same room, we auditioned the B&W Nautilus 802 with all McIntosh seperates, and some really nice cabling. I'm not sure what type of cable it was though.

It was by far the FINEST set of speakers I have ever heard in my life. They were on sale for $7200. They were unbelievably accurate, very detailed, and midrange qualities to absolute die for.

However, I have to admit, that for $15k plus system, I would of thought it would of been a tad more "special." It sounded absolutely wonderful, but, in some ways, a little disappointed.

"Comfortably Numb" never sounded so amazing, however.

Good day!

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
A local store here has McIntosh products and B&W speakers as well. I just heard them. I understand how you feel. I felt the speakers I listened to were really good too. They wer not the Nautilus ones though. They were not nearly as expensive. To me even though they sounded great they sounded more flat for some reason. I know one problems was that they did not have the SVS subs like me. ;) I do not think my little Polk speakers sound as well, but the sound was just different. I can not put my finger on it. Although for what I paid for them I still think my Polk were a good deal.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Some of the finest speakers I've heard are a pair of Wilson Benesch floorstanders. I'm not sure which model it is, but its not even the top model. The clarity, pinpoint imaging and vast soundstage was simply amazing. All that on some tube amplifier which brand I can't remember. I've heard audio systems that were many times as expensive that I thought didn't sound as good(MBL 101D with Mark Levinson No. 33H and No 31.5 CD transport)

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
I recently auditioned the B&W Nautilus 800 and was very impressed. They're not cheap at $20K/pair ($16K without the Connolly leather/Tiger ash) but they were significantly better than the Dynaudio Confidence C4 ($16K) and the Linn Komri ($40K). I'm still waiting to hear them up against the Eggleston Andra II ($17K). Bowers and Wilkins have done their homework indeed...

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I won't forget the time I listened to the ML Prodigy ($11k) with Krell KPS-25 CD player ($20k?) and FPB650 monoblocks ($20k?). What's funny is that that system isn't anything like what I hope to get in the future...it sounded amazing but was absolutely not worth umpteen thousand dollars.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I like the way this thing is going (lets not turn it into a slam B&W-fest like they so often do, but keep it a "Dream system" thread.

that said, my top systems auditioned

Revel Salon/Studios with Levinson pre and amp
B&W Nautilus with Mac pre and amp
Totem (forgot model) with SimAudio pre and amp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks