What's new

Listen to this Joke.... Ebay Auction (1 Viewer)

Natelabo

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a DA1ES off of eBay, and in the description the seller stated "sealed in original box". After I recieved it, I opened and it had obviously been used. Remote batteries were dead no packaging around anything, Blah blah blah. So I emailed the seller to tell him that I was quite unhappy with my purchase. It took him a week to reply after I had emailed him 1-2 more times. Finally when he replied he stated that "in the auction I stated 'sealed original box' but I never said it was factory sealed in original box" Needless to say I am quite pissed and he was just playing with the words. But I checked the aution again looking for anything that might hold him to this sale. And then I found it right in the title he states "Brand New in Box Sony STR-DA1ES" So now I will be able to fight it or least get some money back. What are your thoughts on this, why is everyone always trying to rip everyone off? Is this a joke or what? Whatever.
-nate

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
I hope you paid with an American Express, Visa, or Mastercard. That way you can request a chargeback and get your money back. American Express and Visa are very supportive of buyers and have great customer service from my experience with them.

Natelabo

Stunt Coordinator
I actually bought a Postal Money Order, and they require you to do a Debit Card.. so no luck there. I hoping that the seller will just work it out with me, send some cash back or just take it back but he will paying all the shipping costs. But more inlikely I will have to bring eBay into this and get most of my money back the hard way... errr.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Ebay step in? Sorry to say, but yeah right. Just out of curiosity, how was the guy's feedback?

Natelabo

Stunt Coordinator
Something around 350-400 decent seller, and I thought eBay has that insurance or something??? For fraudulent sellers, or more inlikely just like the old paypal lead you in circles and never get anything accomplished.
-nate

Jeff*Gray

Grip
You have to be careful, because ebay will only cover you up to 200 bucks less 25 for processing. So the most you can get back is 175, I should know because i've had to deal with this before. I'm sick of these idiots trying to rip people off, I think I might just give up on ebay all together myself.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Finally when he replied he stated that "in the auction I stated 'sealed original box' but I never said it was factory sealed in original box"
Piss on it and send it back to him with a note that says:

I said "I am not going to be pissed about it", I never said "I am not going to piss on it". :D

marc paolella

Auditioning
Guys, you simply have to use the feedback. I won't buy from anyone with less than a 99% positive rating and at least 20 positive "selling" not "buying" transactions. That's the bare minimum, I prefer the positive transaction to number in the hundreds.

First time and low-feedback sellers are absolutely out of the question.

You have to treat the feedback like a bank treats your FICO score, and make your "credit" decision accordingly.

Yes, you will miss out on a few "deals" this way, but you will almost never be ripped off.

Finally, be sure to leave negative feedback on this seller, after you resolve the matter.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
How long ago did you win the auction? Time is not on your side here. If you didn't get what you paid for and the seller is dodging the issue report him to ebay as a fraudulent seller. In addition let the seller know that you want a refund or you'll be leaving negative feedback and filing suit against him. This time next week you should have either your money or you should be going after the guy. If you address him in a "pardon me sir but i think i'm unhappy" tone he'll just continue to blow you off.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Geez, this is why I have yet to try out E-bay, just isn't worth the risk for me to save a few bucks on some things.

David King

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, you simply have to use the feedback

That creates a problem. Chances are, the seller knows he is dishonest. So what they do is not leave positive feedback for you after you pay and wait for you (the buyer) to leave feedback first. They do this strictly for retaliatory purposes (although they may claim they do it to help get buyers to leave them feedback after they receive the item, or claim they only leave feedback once a month for all their bidders). Then if you leave a negative for them, they will do the same for you. The buyer then gets a negative for getting ripped off, a negative which may stop you from doing business with them in the future

David.N

Agent
I'm with Cam S, I have used ebay a few times and get more and more skeptical each time. There are so many loop holes and a lot of faith in the seller.

paying $5.00 S/H on a $16.00 ebay DVD
Sending $21.00 to a deadbeat ebay seller
Having Paypal Screw you nopaypal.com
Returning a defective product to the STORE ->
PRICELESS :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have to add my vote to the "This is why I've never used eBay" catergory.

eBay is basically a tag sale run by carnies! :D

Natelabo

Stunt Coordinator
Guys you simply have to use feedback...
I check feedback quite regularly, I was way off on that one, this guy has 4860 positive!! only 36 negatives. I got it for $300 plus shipping. Stores around here sell it for $449 plus tax and eBay averages $370 plus shipping. If it was as described I think it would have been a decent deal.

Ohh I thought it was quite funny how he emailed and told me he bought it for personal use 3 months ago for 500 plus tax. That emails a keeper for eBay insurance :)
-nate

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If you are going to leave negative feedback, wait until the last chance you have (30 days or something). Hopefully he doesn't have time to respond with feedback of his own.

If he sent the item by mail, I would advise the seller that unless there is some kind of refund etc., you will be filing charges for mail fraud, which is a felony.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
only 36 negatives.
Sorry, but I would NEVER buy from someone with so many negatives, regardless of how many positives he has. In fact, if someone has more than one or two, I move on. There are plenty of reliable sellers out there, it's just a matter of being patient.

The great majority of my purchases have been from sellers with zero negatives and at least 80-100 positives (cripes, I'm even leery of neutrals). I've completed two or three hundred transactions over the years and have never been ripped off (knocks wood).

As for excessive shipping, simply avoid those auctions as well or factor that into your bid price.

I believe ebay is very safe if used properly.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks