List of wants....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ChrisHeflen, Feb 11, 2004.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Ok, so I'm really bored at work and I can't get the boss to let me go early so I thought I'd start a rant/how come they don't make... thread.

How come they don't make car dashes with multi-colored lights? You know how on your aftermarket car stereo you can change the colors, red, blue, green, ect... why don't they make that an option for your car dash lights? Maybe you wanna have blue today!

Hardwood floor options for your car. Other than it rotting out, why not.

Brake lights that intensify their brightness when you press harder on the brake pedel. I had heard a long time ago about a high school girl that came up with idea for a project and that car makers were gonna look into it.
    But what about having green brake lights that switch to yellow, orange, then red as you press harder on the brakes?

Pro co-ed basketball? It would flop, but it would be fun to watch for a bit.

Daylight savings do we really need it anymore?

Every other 3 day weekends as the norm. One week you get the normal two days off then the next week you get three days...

Why don't they bring those super speed trains over here?

Feel free to add, or tell me to get back to work.

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I'd like one three-day weekend per month, like they supposedly have in Canada. Can't we move Veteran's Day from November to a month without a holiday. Can we celebrate MLK Day in a different month other than January? We could celebrate the man without it having to fall near or on his birthday.

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Where are the video phones???

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...i would like:
    • my house to say "hello ted" when i walk in
    • cars that can drive themselves
    • or even better ... a real-life transporter
    • world peace! [​IMG] (and no...that doesn't mean making everyone on the planet disappear)
    • the ability to become invisible

and oh-so-much-more.....

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    * Johnny Depp Replicants
    * Monica Bellucci Replicants (French Maid Model)

6. ChrisHeflen

Ok at least mine are realistic and can be achieved.

Why couldn't any of mine happen?

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"I'd like one three-day weekend per month, like they supposedly have in Canada"

Oh now that's special. Can we count?? How many days do folks in the U.s. get between New Years and Easter??

In Canada we have NONE NONE NONE!!! I sure would love 3 day weekends.

As for the dash lights that can be changed, a new car has this feature. I'm just not sure which one.

Brent

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You Can change your dash lights if you don't mind doing a little messing with your dashboard and have good electronics skills and/or soldering skills..

You can make hardwood floors for your car if you want, I would think they would be slippery especially in winter if you don't put some kind of mat on top of it and then at that point, it becomes useless, but hey, if you're good at woodworking, go for it.

I think Mercedes a few years ago had Brake lights that would blink if you slammed on the brake or perhaps blink if you just gentle pressed the brakes, I forget which. I think they might of even gotten brighter, but I don't recall. I don't think it ever caught on anyway... You can probably do something similar if you can alter the voltage sent to your brakelights and then have some kind of actuator behind the brake pedal. Might not by DOT legal though!

As far as three day weekends, I get it every other week, since I'm on a 9 hour day 4 days a week with every other friday off. However, we don't have any of the "minor" holidays off, like Presidents Day (US only) or MLK day (US only) or Columbus Day, we just get NYD, Mem Day, Ind Day, Lab Day, Thanksgiving.

But we do get the week between Christmas and NYD off...

Jay

9. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

We get every other Friday off where I work by working 9 hr days as well. It is soooooo good for office moral. I highly recommend it. Im afraid that I could never go back to the 5 day work week every week if I had to.

Why sin't there a home theater that was could be controlled by thought.
    My wife: "honey, does the volume seem louder???"
    Me: "I didn't notice" [​IMG]

Why cant there be a law for it to be illegal to drive slower than the rest of traffic in the fast lane?

Why dont they make a cordless hair dryer for my wife?

Why cant they make wireless speakers? (good ones)

10. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

brentl

the new model of the Ford Mustang dash lights have 125 different unique colors to choose from.

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

cure for the incurable diseases

peace on earth and goodwill toward men...and women

12. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

Does that mean you actually put in 9 hrs of work, or you work 9am to 6pm with a one-hr lunch break somewhere in the middle?

Count yourself lucky, around here for many years we had to work 5.5 day weeks, with Saturday being a half-day. Most in the private sector have moved to a 5-day week, but the trade-off was more hours on weekdays, 9 to 6 being typical now. Some schmucks still suffer with only alternate Saturdays off.

A real bone-head plan if I ever saw one. But the argument 20-30 years ago was probably that this was a developing country and people needed to work more to build the place up. And now employers are loath to "lose" hours without getting something back.

Sorry, I digress from the topic. Back to your regularly scheduled wishful thinking...

13. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Philip,

I agree...

Personally, I would rather work 4 10 hour days instead of 5 8 hour days...

Having enough money to not work at all would certainly be the best option for me... I am ready for travel and fun times...

Lunch hour isnt even important to me... I would actually rather go all the way through and go home an hour early... That wouldnt work for a lot of people though... It would be easy for me because I only tend to drink water most afternoons...

14. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

-Fatty foods that help you lose weight.[​IMG]
    -A World Series Championship for my beloved Pittsburgh Pirates this season.
    -A new 50" Plasma sitting in my living room when I wake up tomorrow morning.[​IMG]

-Oh yeah, World peace and stuff too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

- I wish scientists looked harder into dreams & sleeping. 8 hrs of rest seems like a waste to me.. every night anyway (remember the 10min sleep machine in Judge Dredd)

- A way to instantly fall asleep like in 5th Element

- Pill that would get rid of nervousness

- ditto about cars driving themselves, bullet trains, or "The Fly" type transporter

- Fast and competitive fully-electric vehicles

- voice activated home AND theater

- 3D displays.. maybe later this century after HDTV takes off (Minority Report)

- VR videogames that actually puts you in the trenches of WWII, Halo, court of NBA Street etc... I'm imagining a big room with special VR suits so us gamers can get off our fat asses.

- Interactive movies so when you see one you're a part of it and can maybe even change the ending. Just something more fun to do on a date. (Ex: Batman & Robin- Riddler episode with VR headset, The Thirteenth Floor)

- A gigantic machine that found your soulmate if you really wanted to know. Would give you a refund if they were gross.

- Computers that are actually fast, think about it :p)

- Decent weight-loss pill

- A way to get in shape without working out, call me either lazy or thinking outside the box... whichever's easier :wink:

PS: Cool thread! [​IMG]

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Re: the 9 hour work day, No, it's 9 hours + whatever time for lunch/breaks etc. However, I'm salaried so I usually work til I'm at a good stopping/break point, after that, I leave, be that before or after the "9 hour day", it doesn't matter, some days I leave early, some days I leave later (rarely though as I do bike to work and I try to beat the rush hour). My boss(s) are cool though, they don't care as long as I get the work done.

Jay

17. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

They call Dippin' Dots "The Ice Cream of the Future."

When is it going to change over so that they become just "ice cream" and what we have now is called "The Ice Cream of the Past???"

18. ChrisHeflen

So no one wants to touch on co-ed pro basketball?

Who do I talk to to get ALL car manufactures to implement multi-colored dash lights?

Why don't they make a convertable four door any more?

19. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I would like an ambient noise sensor on my cell phone. I would like to have a setting called "auto", where the sensor detects the noise level in the surrounding area and adjusts the ring volume as necessary. I always forget to adjust my ringer volume wherever I go, so sometimes it blasts me out of my seat and other times I can't hear it ring. Of course you could still manually set it, if you preferred.

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My lists are more practical than anything...

Things I'd like to have invented:

-Genetic Grass that won't grow longer than 1/2" (or whatever height you want)

-Heated snow shovels

-Wireless electricity, so you never have to look for an outlet or use an extension cord.

Things that exist that I never thought of, but are REALLY cool:

-Windshield wipers that turn on automatically when they sense rain on the windshield

-Heated driveways that melt snow on contact