What's new

List of the early DVD's released in jewel cases? (1 Viewer)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I was wondering how many titles were released in jewel cases and if anyone knows which ones they were. If anyone has pictures on a site that would be cool too. thanks

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
They are as rare as water on the planet Mercury!

These were truly the "first" DVD's and mainly released outside of the USA for test markets.

I too am looking for them to add to my collection but afraid once found, are nearly impossible to get. Every now and then one will pop up on eBay but have also seen them incorrectly advertised.

If there is anyone living in Japan, please let me know for I have it that Tower Records in Tokyo offers one of them still in print! I would like to get a copy through them but they do not sell directly to the US (policy) and I know of no one in Japan.

Anyway, IMAX had a series that has been reissued twice now but was originally in the Jewel cases centered on places around the world (Rain Forrest, Africa, Antartica, etc...).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp
Tower Japan sells to the US through their website as of last year
Lots of DVDs were released in Japan in jewel cases, virtually all concert/music video discs are released that way, it's only now that keepcases are getting popular.

HankM

Second Unit
Some U.S. releases were:

Backdraft

Waterworld

Jumanji

In The Line Of Fire

Beethoven

The Shadow

The Paper

Tony Bennett: MTV Unplugged

can't remember anymore,

anyone else...

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
How about CDs in DVD cases?

The Aliens vs. Predator Gold Edition (MacOS) CD-ROM comes in a case that appears to be a variant of a DVD-Video case. The inside of the case contains the short printed manual.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Additional DVD's in CD cases:

Fly Away Home (CTS)

Apollo 13 (UNI)

Legends of the Fall (CTS)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I bought "The Craft" and "The Fan" in jewel cases dirt cheap when a store was clearing them out. For a while Columbia was putting out everything in both types of cases at the same time, then I guess they figured out which one most people liked better. Personally, I'd prefer a small laserdisc sleeve :)

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
BEASTIE BOYS: SABOTAGE was released in a jewel case, but with a cardboard standee that made it keepcase size. Dunno if that counts.

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
For a while Columbia was putting out everything in both types of cases at the same time, then I guess they figured out which one most people liked better.
If by "people" you mean, "people owning retail stores choosing which fixtures to buy to hold all dvds", then you are correct.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The first Universal releases were jewelcase-only. I forgot about the jewel-case-within-a-box packaging, which was used on the first titles from Pioneer Artists and Simitar (the first 'budget' label to release DVDs, which has since gone out of business.)

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Is there an interest in these titles as collectibles? I was just wondering because I think that a local used cd/dvd store has a few of them. I never thought much of them until I saw this thread. It would create more storage opitions I suppose.

-Eric

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
I own six early release DVDs in original CD jewel cases:

The River Wild - Universal (Comes with a cardboard sleeve)

Africa The Serengeti - IMAX

The First Emperor Of China - IMAX

DVD Spectacular - Delos (Dobly 5.1 Trailers, 1812 Overture performed by the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Audio/Video test signals. Way cool DVD.)

Sony DVD Demonstration - Sony (Sony DVP-7000 player promo, movie trailers, Dolby Digital AC-3 demo. This was given to me by a dealer I am sure it is pretty rare. Circa 1997)

Oceanscapes - The Naturescapes Series (Comes with a cardboard sleeve the same dimensions as a plastic Amary DVD case. Otherwise pretty much a piece of crap content wise.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks