1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

List of problem DVDs with replacement programs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Stuart, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Hello,
    I recently read the Holy Grail SE Problem thread ( http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/032165.html ), and since I have a number of unopened DVDs (because I tend to give priority to viewing DVDs of films I have never seen), it occurred to me that I might not know about pressing and mastering problems on other DVDs that I own
    First I did a search for other threads on DVD problems in HTF, but then it occurred me that it might be simpler to have people list - in this thread - all the DVDs that have problems that have caused the manufacturer to create replacement programs. Any information about obtaining the replacement would be helpful.
    But, please:
    - Don't list DVD problems that irritate you, but are never going to be acknowledged as true problems by the manufacturer, such as edge enhancement on Phantom Menace or CTHD. Let's keep it to obvious problems that have been acknoledged as such by the manufacturers.
    - No editorializing or comments. Start or use another thread for doing that. Let's keep this thread concise and easy to read by only including the relevant information.
    I'll start it off:
    The Prisoner - Set Two : Both "The General" and "The Chimes of Big Ben" have an "echoing" effect on the soundtrack during certain scenes. A&E is replacing those disks (most sets purchased in 2001 should have corrected disks, but some retailers conceivably might have had old stock). More details on replacement can be found at:
    http://www.netreach.net/~sixofone/audio.htm

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Leon: The Professional
    Original pressing had a very lackluster DD 5.1 soundtrack. The new pressing has a number of identifying marks that distinguish it:
    1. The product code of 06196.
    2. On the features list on the back, you can see "Newly Created ..." where the soundtrack is listed.
    Other repressed titles:
    Opera [Anchor Bay]
    Heathers [Anchor Bay]
    Jurassic Park DTS [Universal]

3. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...let us not forget Disneys DINOSAUR-SE....im beggining to think we humans
    will be extinct by the time the 'fixed' ediiton comes out... [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

Criterion's "Rififi" disc has been repressed. If you find that the (original) French language track is out of synch, Criterion will replace the disc. Send it to:
    The Criterion Collection
    210 E 52 Street, 5th floor
    New York, NY 10022
    Attn: Jon Mulvaney
    Hope this helps someone!
    Rich

5. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Has there been an 'official' announcement regarding Heathers?

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Following (concerning Jurassic Park DTS) was posted at theDigitalBits on 8/16/01, from the people "in the know" (i.e. ones that have send in their DVD for exchange), it takes about 6-8 weeks to get a replacement.
    ------------------------------
    Universal Studios Home Video strives to ensure customer satisfaction, and accordingly has implemented a running change for this title, using the original master soundtrack. The earlier production run can be identified by the code number D2R1 on the inside hub. The newer, current version can be identified by the code D2R2 and will contain a red technical grid on the back of the packaging as part of the running change.
    Consumers who have purchased the "D2R1" discs will have the option of making an exchange. Please send in the disc only (without packaging), along with name, address and telephone number, to: Universal Studios Home Video, PO Box 224468, Dallas TX 75260 or Universal Studios Home Video, 8801 Autobahn Drive, Dallas, TX 75237.

7. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Up ^

8. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

The Godfather Collection - Disc 5 - Supplements:
    "This disc was created in compliance with applicable DVD specifications. Certain of its advanced features may not play on all machines."
    So, Paramount screwed up and anyone with a Toshiba player paid the same amount for 4 working discs and an extras disc that is 90% unplayable. Great replacement program too!!!

9. BarryNS

BarryNS Stunt Coordinator

Not really a valid "replacement program" as such, but CBC has finally admitted, along with Morningstar Entertainment, that the first box set in the "Canada: A People's History" documentary series has a few problems....I quote from the CBC website:
    Due to the dual layering technology of (3) of the (5) discs contained in the Canada: A People's History Series Set #1, consumers may experience playback problems on some consumer and computer DVD hardware. These playback problems do not automatically indicate that the discs are defective. For further information, please contact Morningstar Entertainment at (800) 590-3350 or e-mail [email protected]
    For the record, I complained to my e-tailer where I purchased the set AND the CBC directly about the numerous problems I had with the first set, back as far as January of this year. CBC admitted nothing, while the e-tailer (Chapters) finally shipped a free replacement copy a few months later...it's not perfect either, but at least I can "trick" my Tosh player into loading all of the features and segments on the replacement set with some creative menu entry techniques on the remote. The original set would just pixellate and "lock" the player on almost every selection. Otherwise it is a fantastic series for Canadian history buffs or others who want to be informed on the nation's fascinating yet little-known history.
    ------------------
    -Barry

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Great thread! Here is my 2.5 cents:
    Crimson Rivers - No subs on French commentary track

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

12. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

13. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know what will become of the virus ridden Powerpuff Girls:Meet the Beat-alls dvd?
    (for more info, go to http://www.dvdverdict.com/ ,scroll to the 29th.)
    I have actually virus scanned this disc, and it indeed appears affected. This could become a major concern if we can't trust dvd-rom content to be virus-free.
    Robyn

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

My Fair Lady (Warner Brothers)
    There were early reports that this RSDL disc showed problems at the layer change (the glue that holds together the layers was porous or something).
    Mine recently started choking both my RP91 and Sony 560D at the layer change. I just sent an email to WB customer service and haven't heard back yet. Will keep you all updated on the progress.

15. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Carlo - my copy of MY FAIR LADY did the same thing. It choked at the layer change, not a player issue since it happened on more than one model player.
    I was successful in getting Warner to replace it for me earlier this year. I sent in my defective copy (purchased form now-defunct Reel.com) and they sent me a new one, although it took them awhile.

16. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Ted, I have a SD-2109 player and I'm forced to use the DVD-ROM to view the extras.
    And Brad, I know someone who didn't even buy Opera: Limited Edition, but got a free replacement and SUPERGIRL free to go with it. And he got it already. I wish I could be all cool and say that person is ME...but it's not. It's this kid I know. [​IMG]

17. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

WHY would it be 'cool' to in essence, rip off AB?
    as a small company, ANCHOR BAY have enough problems.
    Then they are gracious enough to trust us to make it hassle free to get a replacement OPERA disc....
    NEXT time they wont trust us...
    ------------------

18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Glenn,
    Wouldn't happen to have that contact info still around, would you? [​IMG]

19. mdean

mdean Auditioning

Cleopatra--Disc #2 was pressed without the exit music at the end. Call 888/223-2369 for a replacement.
    Tarzan (not the 2-disc version)--Some discs had problems with the bass. These were replaced on request.
    Dinosaur (2-disc)--Call 1/800/723-4763 for replacement.

20. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Anybody have the information on the Bond DVD issues and how to get the replacements?
    I have all three sets, but believe the issues are with "Live and Let Die," "Octopussy," "Never Say Never Again," and "The Living Daylights." My copy of "From Russia with Love" also cuts out on the audio during one of the trailers.
    I haven't gotten around to getting replacements and want to do so before they are all gone. Thanks.
    [Edited last by Joseph S on October 31, 2001 at 07:37 PM]