1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

List of DVD's with percussive elements of music or no music heard in center channel.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aberk81, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 1 Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Aberk81

Aberk81 Auditioning

Caleb
    Here's the list of DVD's that has percussive elements of music or no music heard in center channel for the 5.1 track.

Above the Law (1988) (No music heard in center channel)
    Hard to Kill (1990) (No music heard in center channel)
    Under Siege (1992) (No music heard in center channel, only the military music heard in center channel at the end of the movie)
    Sonic X Hi-Fi Vol 1-8 (No music heard in center channel)
    The Loud House (No music heard in center channel)
    Prison Break (No music heard in center channel except the intro music)
    24 (No music heard in center channel except some Season 3 episodes)
    Broken Arrow (1996) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Bad Boys (1995) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel, also heard from back speakers in some parts)
    Bad Boys 2 (2003) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Mortal Kombat (1995) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation (No music heard in center channel)
    Aria the Scarlet Ammo (No music heard in center channel)
    Magnum Force (1973, remaster) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    The Dead Pool (1988) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    GoldenEye (1995) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    The Fast and the Furious (2001) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Child's Play (1988, Chucky's 20th Birthday edition) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Halloween (1978, remaster) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel for the intro music only)
    Initial D: Third Stage (2001) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (Platinum Edition) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Miami Vice (Seasons 2-5) (No music heard in center channel)
    The Terminator (1984, remaster) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel, also no music heard from back speakers in some scenes)
    Top Gun (1986) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Tango & Cash (1989) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)
    Point Break (1991) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel, also no music heard from center channel in some scenes)
    Speed (1994) (Percussive music elements can be heard in center channel)

That's all i can find, please let me know if i'm missing something and i'll update the list.

2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    The point of this is completely lost on me. :unsure: Sound mixers use a variety of choices in where instrumentation is placed in the soundfield.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Just about every trailer has no music at all in the center channel- that was the first thing I noticed as a projectionist when they started doing trailer audio in digital (previously, it had been mostly mono.)

Remember watching part of "Showgirls" from the booth with the monitor set to just the center channel, and laughing at a scene in a dance club where you could only hear the dialogue and foleyed sounds of footsteps.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'm curious, too, Caleb. Why are you compiling this list? For what benefit?

5. Aberk81

Aberk81 Auditioning

Caleb
    Well, it's because i noticed many movies/shows had full music heard in center channel. And there's some movies/shows that DO have just percussive music elements heard in center channel or just no music.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

All right. But why is it important to you to create a list of this?

Is it useful to you in some way?

Don't take my questions as a negative. I'm just curious as to what good the list is going to do for you.

I notice lots of things in life, but don't start compiling them into lists. :D

7. 8 Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Aberk81

Aberk81 Auditioning

Caleb
    Yeah, it's just that some movies and shows has different sounds of music heard from different speakers. Cause not all movies and shows had that, they would use full music heard in center speaker.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  8. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Stunt Coordinator

Robert Bielski
    Thanks for the info Caleb. I was totally unaware of this and it is interesting to me. There must be a reason for this and I wonder what that might be.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

It definitely shows off the separation capabilities that weren't possible with 2-channel matrixed sound. A side benefit is that by disconnecting channels, you can get dialogue-only or music-only presentations of some movies.

Just remembered that sometimes the songs during end credits will have only the vocals in the center channel, giving you an acapella version. The Seal song at the end of "Entrapment" is like that, as is Will Smith's "Men in Black" rap.

Bob Bielski likes this.