What's new

list of DVD-A with UNCOMPRESSED stereo tracks (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If a disc doesn't have the original stereo (or mono) track in an uncompressed (MLP or PCM) form, I'm not interested.

DD2.0 doesn't cut it.

Is there a list out there that will show me the discs that meet my criteria?

ps Sometimes I even like the 5.1 track, I just won't spend my money if I don't get the original track also.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Unfortunately, that is one of the problems with DVD-A. Some things indicate advanced resolution stereo on the outside of the disc but when you get to the disc menu it shows the surround playlist and that is it. Other things have menus showing surround and stereo playlists with the same labeling. Given the lack of software being released, the stupid in-between case size, a 5.1 soundtrack inclusion (high resolution stereo would be better as far as I am concerned), the need for a video monitor, at least Warner did something with the pricing. DVD-A needs to get it act together in the near future otherwise it is in big trouble. It would be nice if someone from DVD-A would read this and address these questions and at least look at them. An easy one would be, if it says advanced resolution stereo, there should be a std. They should also label the resolution included. I don't think that is being unreasonable to ask for truth in pkging.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I've been harping on this for ages. DVD-A can hold such an enormous variety of content that clear, detailed labeling is absolutely essential. I want to know:

- What playback options exist on a DVD-V player
- What playback options exist on a DVD-A player
- What the word length/bitrate is for all PCM/MLP tracks (none of this "advanced resolution" doublespeak)
- Whether the stereo track is a true stereo mix or a folddown of the surround track

Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Ryan

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think we should consider starting our own list if for no reason other than to help each other out.
The situation is truly disappointing and as each day passes I suspect that DVD-A isn't going to make it in the long run. That won't keep me from supporting it in the short run, because I basically didn't feel I was spending extra for DVD-A capability.
I have looked at a few DVD-A discs in the PC to see how much space they used up out of the maximum for the DVD type (DVD-5 or DVD-9) and it seems they pretty much all have room for another soundtrack or two. I don't think (on single albums) space is a consideration at this point. There is room for 5.1 DTS and at least 16/48 stereo/mono PCM and multichannel MLP and stereo/mono MLP. And frankly, PCM could probably usually be 24/96.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I'm not sure if such a list exists. The following DVD-Audio discs in my collection have discrete stereo tracks:

* America Homecoming (24/192)
* Christy Baron Steppin' (24/96)
* Jonatha Brooke Steady Pull (24/176.4)
* Celebrating the Music of Weather Report (24/96)
* The Doors L.A. Woman (24/96)
* Eagles Hotel California (24/192)
* Fleetwood Mac Rumours (24/96)
* Foreigner Foreigner (24/96)
* Hootie & the Blowfish Cracked Rear View (24/96, I think)
* Metallica Metallica
* Queen A Night at the Opera (24/96)
* Bobby Short Piano (24/96)
* Steely Dan Two Against Nature (24/96)
* Stone Temple Pilots Core (24/96)

In addition, I know that the following discs have discrete stereo tracks too:

* Queensryche Empire
* Doobie Brothers Captain and Me
* Deep Purple Machine Head
* Foreigner 4
* Eric Clapton Reptile
* B.B. King & Eric Clapton Riding with the King
* Paul Simon You're the One
* R.E.M. Reveal

This is by no means a comprehensive list. Other Universal titles besides the Queensryche disc likely have discrete stereo tracks too. The discs released by Silverline do not have discrete stereo tracks.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Keith,
You've got several of mine.
Here's a couple more that I know off the top of my head:
Toy Matinee's eponymous release (GREAT album) has DTS5.1, DD2.0 (448k) MLP 5.1 (24/48)
Bjork's 'Vespertine' has DD5.1, MLP Stereo, MLP 5.1
Can't remember the rate/word for Vespertine. Both of these releases had over a gig of unused space on the DVD-5...plenty of space for an additional uncompressed stereo track on the DVD-V side of the Bjork disc, and either PCM or MLP on the Toy Matinee disc. :angry:
Thanks for the warning about Silverline. I will NOT be supporting them.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Some of mine:

* Bela Fleck, Tales from the Acoustic Planet Vol 2: Although it lists a discrete 2-channel mix, one is not present. However, Fleck was involved in this mix which is mostly up front. Great stuff, don't let 2-channel snobbery let you pass this by. (24/96)

* George Benson, Breezin' (24/96)
* Willie Nelson, Night & Day (16/44.1)
* Eric Johnson, Ah Via (24/96)
* Grateful Dead, American Beauty (24/96)
* " " Workingman's Dead (24/96)
* Carly Simon, No Secrets (24/192)
* Corrs, In Blue (24/96)
* Al Green, GH (24/48)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Bela Fleck, Tales from the Acoustic Planet Vol 2: Although it lists a discrete 2-channel mix, one is not present. However, Fleck was involved in this mix which is mostly up front. Great stuff, don't let 2-channel snobbery let you pass this by. (24/96)
To me the 2-channel issue isn't just about snobbery...it's nice to have a 2-channel system in the den in addition to the 5.1 system in the HT room, and so on.

Every release should really include the original mono/stereo mix in high res.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Snobbery is not an issue. I have DVD-A in 2 systems too and it is about being able to play good 2-channel material. It is also about truth in packaging, which I feel is a reasonable right of the consumer from any honest venture selling to the public.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
However, Fleck was involved in this mix which is mostly up front.
That's not the impression I get. I hear whole instruments seperated completely to rear channels.
Don't get me wrong- I love the mix. But it's no substitute for a stereo track. I enjoy the disc very much, but they should not advertise a stereo mix where none exists.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I guess the fact that the 2-channel is MIA is the problem. The standard should be a stereo hi-rez version first, and then if a M/C one can be put on, great.

There obviously is another view, and that is from the artist. From my list, a couple of examples stick out:

1. Fleck... He did the mix. He is saying "take or leave it" but this is how I the artist wish to present it.

2. Nelson. Open the jewel box and a slip of paper falls out which states "The artist was 100% satisfied with the 16/44.1 mix and he demanded it be the hi-rez stereo mix.

3. Johnson. After pressing a couple thousand discs the artist demanded it to be halted (and it was) because the wrong mix was used and he wasn't happy with it.

We as users (sorry, I've been in IT for 20 years) should realize the artist sometimes makes the decisions.

Mike, I say Fleck's mix is subtle as compared to others such as the Dead's American Beauty. Hart clearly stated on that disc he was trying to plant certain instruments in the back because that was how the band was set up back then. I'm going to have some fun with Fleck's disc and disconnect everything but the L/R fronts and see what I get. I'm expecting 90+% of the mix.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Johnson. After pressing a couple thousand discs the artist demanded it to be halted (and it was) because the wrong mix was used and he wasn't happy with it.
From what I hear, he got shanghaied on the whole project and didn't know a damn thing about it until discs were in the pipeline (way to go Capitol). I recently heard the remix project was canned. I also heard even the 2.0 mix on the album was re-eq'd and sounded like crap.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
If he doesn't want it presented in stereo, then it should not have also come out on CD.
Right! All they need is the same exact mix that's on the CD, just higher resolution. Make that sort of thing a standard, like for SACDs. Bing!, everybody happy.
Don't even get me started on that freakin' Johnson DVD-A. I really like that album, and I see it on the shelf at the store. It mocks me- "buy me, buy me," yet I know that it is wrong. :angry:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Right! All they need is the same exact mix that's on the CD, just higher resolution. Make that sort of thing a standard, like for SACDs. Bing!, everybody happy.
Yep.
Instead, about half the discs have no hi-rez stereo. And about half the discs can't be navigated without a screen, and even when they can be, the user interface is not universal.
And they wonder why audiophiles were immediately way more interested in SACD.
Way to go, guys.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Now that I have a SACD player in my system (2 channel at the moment/ the DVDA player is connected to the Multi inputs). I can see why SACD is popular among Audiophiles. You just pop them in like a cd...no fuss.

A DVDA does require an extra step or two at times which can make it a pain to set up quickly.
DVDA is promising (I love the music that is available) but it still needs to be unified. All DVDA's need to be on the same page. Some kind of standard.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I wonder if SACD simply has artists on a tighter leash. The artists demands seem to happen on the DVD-A side, can anyone think of similar happenings (like I mentioned above) on SACD?

I love what I have on DVD-A, but this could be a fatal flaw by preventing a platform with standards such as mandatory hi-rez stereo from developing.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
John,

Early SACD players were stereo-only. Therefore every disc has to have a 2-channel track for backwards compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks