What's new

List of DD/DTS-ES 6.1 movies??? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you're talking about movies on DVD, then look in the Software forum. Here's the thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=dtses

If you're talking about movies released theatrically, then the answer is simple: none. There is no "6.1" format for theatrical exhibition.

For a list of movies released theatrically in Dolby Digital Surround EX (which is a 5.1 format; even Dolby says so), check Dolby's site (scroll down the page for links to the various lists). For a list of movies released theatrically in DTS-ES, check DTS's site (the movies released to theaters in DTS-ES are marked with an asterisk).

M.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, you are mistaken on this. Dolby Digital Surround EX is definitely a theatrical 6.1 channel format, with a matrixed rear channel. A theater near my home is one of the first with it installed, back in 1999, and that was how I first saw The Phantom Menace (despite my disappointment over the film itself, the 6.1 sound was fantastic!)

Here's Dolby's own page on the setup of Theatrical Dolby Digital Surround EX 6.1 sound (note the "Rear Surround" speakers, which means it's really 6.1 even if Dolby considers it 5.1 due to the matrixing): http://www.dolby.com/cinema/DDEXgrowth.html

-

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Don, note the first sentence in the page you link to:

Dolby Digital Surround EX matrix-encodes a third, center rear surround channel onto the regular left and right surround channels of Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks.
Dolby Digital Surround EX is a 5.1-channel system, not 6.1. The only way it could become a 6.1-channel format would be to add a fully discrete rear channel.

Both conventional Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks decode to exactly the same number of discrete channels: five main channels and one LFE channel (5.1). In the case of Dolby Digital Surround EX, the back surround channel is derived after this point using additional processing.

Adam

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it says it encodes a third, center rear surround channel onto the regular left and right surround channels, hence, Dolby Digital Surround EX is a 6.1 Matrixed Surround system, as opposed to a 6.1 Discrete Surround system. So even though it is matrixed, there is a definite rear channel associated with any 6.1 system. To call it a 5.1 system, as Dolby does, really makes little sense (it's like calling Dolby Pro Logic just 2-channel stereo).

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Yes, Dolby Digital Surround EX is a 6.1 Matrixed Surround system, as opposed to a 6.1 Discrete Surround system. But even though it is matrixed, there is a definite rear channel associated with any 6.1 system. To call it a 5.1 system, as Dolby does, really makes little sense (it's like calling Dolby Pro Logic just 2-channel stereo).
No, it's a 5.1-channel matrixed system. The 'X.X' format by its very nature only applies to discrete channels.

Dolby Pro Logic isn't two-channel stereo, or any other recording format. It's a domestic processing system that works in conjunction with Dolby Surround encoded stereo content. Dolby Surround is a 2.0 format (on DVD in regards to Dolby Digital).

If we were to use the number of derived channels to describe a format, then Dolby Surround content could be identified as 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 or 4.0 depending on the processor and playback hardware used (or more: on a Yamaha for example it could even become 9.1). For this reason the channel designation is restricted to the number of discrete channels present, which in the case of conventional Dolby Digital Surround EX is 5.1.

Adam

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Some movie soundtracks use a variation on 5.1 called Dolby® Digital Surround EX™, which has now migrated via DVDs to home theater. This format matrix encodes a third surround channel onto the left and right surround channels of 5.1 soundtracks, and may be decoded or not at the cinema’s or home listener’s option due to their inherent compatibility. Because the extra surround information is carried on the left and right surround channels, Dolby Digital Surround EX encoded soundtracks are still regarded as 5.1 soundtracks.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Regardless to if it is supposed to be designated based on the number of channels that actually carry the signal, Dolby Digital EX is still decoded into 6 distinct surround channels plus 1 subwoofer channel in a properly configured 6.1 channel movie theater or home theater.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Regardless to if it is supposed to be designated based on the number of channels that actually carry the signal, Dolby Digital EX is still decoded into 6 distinct surround channels plus 1 subwoofer channel in a properly configured 6.1 channel movie theater or home theater.
Dolby Digital Surround EX is a seven-channel format, but it isn't 6.1. The two terms cannot be used interchangeably.

Adam

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Dolby Digital EX is still decoded into 6 distinct surround channels plus 1 subwoofer channel
No one has said otherwise. That doesn't change what the "x.y" notation means, which is different from what you're trying to make it mean.

M.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Michael Reuben wrote:
That doesn't change what the "x.y" notation means, which is different from what you're trying to make it mean.
Then someone needs to spread the word to the A/V Receiver manufacturers, because they all claim to decode Dolby Digital EX 6.1 sound in their seven-channel receivers.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Then someone needs to spread the word to the A/V Receiver manufacturers, because they all claim to decode Dolby Digital EX 6.1 sound in their seven-channel receivers.
The hardware makers want to sell more hardware, so it's in their interest to make people wonder whether they're missing something because their system is "only" 5.1. I'll stick with Dolby's characterizations, seeing as they, along with THX, are the ones who invented the format in the first place.

Since this thread clearly no longer belongs in the Movies forum, I'm moving it to Audio/Video Sources.

M.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, Jeremy. Michael mentioned theatrical DTS-ES in his first post; like Dolby Digital Surround EX it's a matrixed 5.1-channel system.

Adam

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In the cinemas, this back channel is not a discrete channel, but is matrixed into the left and right surround channels, much as the center front channel was matrixed into the left and right front channels in earlier matrix optical surround formats. This matrixed back channel is embedded in the soundtrack printmaster, so finds its way into all cinema digital sound formats. DTS uses the name "ES" on its cinema decoder; others call the process “Surround EX”. Either set of letters stands for "Extended Surround".

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
LMAO. You guys are tripping me out. I must admit it's great to hear a debate over sound formats, if I were to try talk about this stuff to anybody not in the HTF they'd look at me crazy.

They admins here really know they're stuff, man I'm telling ya :D

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Sooo, DTS-ES Discrete is not played in theaters, only DTS-ES Matrix? Why wouldn't they play DTS-ES Discrete? And don't tell me DTS-ES Discrete is 5.1 also. Just don't, this is like living a nightmare:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks