What's new

List of Blu Rays with scans of 70mm elements ? (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I just received Savage Pampas 4K UHD disc from Germany. IMDB lists as 112 minutes but the 4K version is only 96 minutes. English option is there with occasional German that is subtitled in English. Anyone have any information on this 70 mm transfer that seems to be shorter than what the original was listed?
I am very sorry you got this. Unfortunately in this case the Blu-ray is substantially better than the UHD that got a really horrible HDR grade with crushed shadow detail, blown out highlights and oversaturated colors.

The Blu-ray is the best available version of Savage Pampas and should be purchased if one is interested in this title.

As for the duration unfortunately the movie was shortened for its German release and I can only assume that it was beyond the scope of the release to search for missing parts in longer 35mm versions from the UK or elsewhere.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Is this licensed or a bootleg?

Wouldn‘t the orig prod company have the neg and tracks?
Last time I talked to the German rights holder the whereabouts of the OCN were unknown. This was one of the productions from Samuel Bronston that he did after du Pont pulled the plug on his Spanish movie empire so its production and distribution history is probably rather complicated.

The current rights holder for Germany also has a faded 70mm print from the German premiere and they worked from that. Detail is often quite stunning but other parameters are not up to par as this one was done on a VERY low budget. I can only say that the Blu-ray is serviceable and I would have no hesitation to recommend it for people interested in the movie but by all means stay clear of the UHD version as this has gone very very wrong.

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Lat time I talked to the German rights holder the whereabouts of the OCN were unknown. This was one of the productions from Samuel Bronston that he did after du Pont pulled the plug on his Spanish movie empire so its production and distribution history is probably rather complicated.

The current rights holder for Germany also has a faded 70mm print from the German premiere and they worked from that. Detail is often quite stunning but other parameters are not quite up to par as this one was done on a VERY low budget. I can only say that the Blu-ray is serviceable and I would have no hesitation to recommend it for people interested in the movie but by all means stay clear of the UHD version as this has gone very very wrong.
Thanks OliverK! Your description of the UHD is exactly my reaction as well. I also thought it was a very strange film.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks OliverK! Your description of the UHD is exactly my reaction as well. I also thought it was a very strange film.
I am sorry you missed the previous conversation about Savage Pampas as I had already warned about the UHD in this thread I believe. Few people know the movie and will probably go for the UHD if they see the price, they may even think the release also includes a Blu-ray which in this case sadly it doesn't.

The company who released this was ill-advised to accept this botched HDR grade - I can only assume they did not check it at all or that at that point they had little to no idea how an HDR grade should look.

Yes it is a very strange movie. The story seems very unusual for a Bronston production and more suited for broader comedy but plays out as a pretty tough B-western set in South America.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I am sorry you missed the previous conversation about Savage Pampas as I had already warned about the UHD in this thread I believe. Few people know the movie and will probably go for the UHD if they see the price, they may even think the release also includes a Blu-ray which in this case sadly it doesn't.

The company who released this was ill-advised to accept this botched HDR grade - I can only assume they did not check it at all or that at that point they had little to no idea how an HDR grade should look.

Yes it is a very strange movie. The story seems very unusual for a Bronston production and more suited for broader comedy but plays out as a pretty tough B-western set in South America.
One of the problems of HDR. Everyone presumes that it’s akin to Blue Bonnet margarine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks