What's new

List of Alternate Cuts with/without Director Approval (8 Viewers)

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Elijah, I remember hearing that story in film school during a class on Cassavetes, and being glad that we were watching the short version because A) it was the director's cut and B) it was shorter (the less Cassavetes, the better).

Bryan, if you're sure you read it somewhere, I'll change it back to Extended. Thanks.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

Thanks for the info on APOCALYPSE NOW. If you're a Murch fan, have you seen THE CUTTING EDGE? It's a really great documentary on editing where you actually get to see Murch cutting a scene from COLD MOUNTAIN.

I saw him at the Chicago Humanities Festival last year giving a presentation on Bode's Law of Spheres and Harmonies, which hypothesizes that the spacing of celestial bodies is linked to the diatonic scale. He's a weird guy.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Excellent list!

Could we add - Steve Norrington's DEATH MACHINE - the US cut was butchered; an entire subplot was removed. The UK cut (now on R2 DVD) is (according to IMDB - hmmmm) director approved.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Well, I'm starting to think that what I read may not have been official. (I don't have the DVD, so I don't even know what's been added; like I said, it was just a random example I picked.)

Besides, just because she participated doesn't mean that it's the version that she prefers. I mean, John Badham participated in the PG-ing of Saturday Night Fever, but he certainly doesn't prefer that version.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
ADDED:
Ransom
Kingpin
A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child
Friday the Thirteenth
Bad Lieutenant
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Magical Mystery Tour
Stop Making Sense
Dead Poets Society
The Devil's Advocate

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
I know Commando needs to be added, seeing as that's getting a Director's Cut soon (that may not be a Director's Cut. We'll see.) Both versions of The Wicker Man have two different cuts.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew, what's the deal with COMMANDO? All of those titles have been added. and THE NUMBER 23 too.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Another upcoming one is Jingle All The Way which has an Extended Edition coming out (director-supervised). Probably the same kind of situation as Big, mind.

Also to be added: The Bourne Identity. I'm pretty sure that the Extended Version on the SE was not Liman's vision, as he states in the intro the opening/ending was more of way of protecting the film post-9/11 (which were then deemed unneeded).

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
The IMDB also lists a European version of THE BOURNE IDENTITY which was a minute longer, and it sounds like Liman prefers that to the American version. And apparently, the scene which was cut is not in the Extended Cut.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
It should noted that the farmhouse scene is not in the R2/4 UK/Australian version either. The version of the scene Liman prefers is featured in the extra features, showing Bourne talking to the young son about alligators. In the film, you see a couple of shots of them each having dinner and it cuts to the next scene.

I can't say whether it was in the UK theatrical release because it was so long ago.

I do have on very good word that there is another version of Mission: Impossible II hanging around. This version was released in UK theatres and was obviously the version prior to the MPAA trims for the PG-13. (among other things, in the opening plane hijack, the scientist's neck breaking was a very loud crunch). Unfortunately, when it got released on DVD, the MPAA's trims went brought down to us. (where you simply hear clothing scrunch as the break is executed)

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew, I've heard about that cut of M:I-2 too. I can't decide whether or not to include it on the list since it apparently isn't available on home video.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
An extended cut of TRANSFORMERS is coming out in Imax on 9/21. I don't know which version is preferred by Michael Bay, but he seems to be involved with the new cut.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
THE EX is coming out unrated on DVD. Also, the HD DVD of the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake seems to be the censored American director's cut, and not the uncensored European director's cut, which is clearly the way it was intended. Coincidentally, I suppose, I've changed that listing accordingly.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

The American cut *is* the director's cut. The European cut was assembled by the producers, Dario and Claudio Argento. The only other cut was a rough edit that was screened at Cannes and is extended, but not the version the director prefers. I think you guys need to do more research on these titles before you go around posting what is or isn't "intended".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks