What's new

List of Alternate Cuts with/without Director Approval (1 Viewer)

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Despite his role as director, Donner's job was wheel it out as soon as possible. Yes, he probably made cuts and edits on scenes in those 3 weeks but he probably left the action scenes intact after they were pieced together because he knew that was what the audience was paying for, and hence was what the studio wanted. As a director, in hindsight, yes, he would probably would make it less violent if he had a chance to do it again, but that's the beauty of hindsight.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
So what should we have LETHAL WEAPON 4 listed as? UK or American Cut?

Added: THE BIG RED ONE, CASUALTIES OF WAR, THE COOLER

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go American. It doesn't sound like Donner was totally advocating it anyway, it seems like he was agreeing with the BBFC to a certain extent on violence, but he probably doesn't advocate the UK version as a whole. Particularly as most of cuts are damn obvious.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by Mike*Sch:
Travis, yes, all six STAR WARS have been altered, and all six are on the list.

He he...and therin lies the rub--my argument stemmed from the fact that I did not see Episodes IV-VI on the list when I first began my questioning; by the 2nd post, I noticed Episode IV (either missed on my account the first time, or subsequently added to the list), but still no EMPIRE or JEDI. Why? Because I was looking under "STAR WARS" (or "S"), rather than "E" for EMPIRE and "R" for RETURN OF THE JEDI. This entire interlude would probably have never occured if you rightfully placed all six titles under the moniker "STAR WARS: Episode...". ;)

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Travis B, sorry for the confusion. I was debating back and forth as to whether to put the original trilogy under their original titles, or to make them uniform with the prequels. Ultimately, I decided to put them under their original titles, because it seemed more historically accurate. That, and EMPIRE deserves to stand on its own. ;)

Added: THE BOONDOCK SAINTS, CRY_WOLF, and BATMAN BEYOND: RETURN OF THE JOKER.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Added: THE FOG, THE GETAWAY, THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY, THE GRUDGE, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, and ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Christian.

Also Added: FROM BEYOND and THE WARRIORS.

By the way, can anyone confirm that THE COOLER: Director's Cut could only be seen on Pay Per View? I just watched RUNNING SCARED, and was very impressed by it. Now I want to see THE COOLER, but I'd like to see the director's cut.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Added: FANNY AND ALEXANDER, METROPOLIS, PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, JASON GOES TO HELL, WOODSTOCK, THE DUKES OF HAZZARD, DUMB AND DUMBER, AUDITION, LAST TANGO IN PARIS, and SAVING SILVERMAN.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding "American Pie: The Wedding", I think the director prefers the Theatrical Cut. He shot the unrated scenes for the DVD and were only intended as a bit of fun. Plus, if you watch the added scenes, the characters change clothes and etc., so I doubt the Unrated cut is the ultimate version of the film.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Highlander 2 has about three different versions:
The theatrical version (only on VHS)

The Director's Cut Renegade Version

The Special Edition version (special effects are redone and one scene is cut out (that is in the theatrical and renegade versions) for the latest version of the renegade version). Paramount is reissuing the SE this June.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
David, do you know whether Mulcahey prefers the Renegade Version or the Special Edition?

Added: FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, INSIDE DEEP THROAT, THE NEW WORLD, and SLIVER.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I don't know, but the producers main purpose of the special edition was to redo the special effects that they weren't satisfied with in the first place when the film was made (one of the extras show all the various special effects elements they originally did for the film back in 1990 and the ones they created for the special edition cut). Paramount is releasing the special edition in June (I have to ask if it will have all of the extras that the Lions Gate DVD had).

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Was Mulcahy involved with the new special effects, or were they just done by those two guys who produced all the HIGHLANDER movies? I hate those guys. They have that "Producer's Cut" for ENDGAME, which was never even shown to the director prior to its release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks