What's new

List A Disappointment- I'll Go First... (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
What if people just don't like black bars? It's possible. I prefer rib eye steak to Filet Mignon. - My mom (who prefers Filet) is always wondering why I would want a lesser steak that has a lot of fat in it (which isn't good for me), but I say that the fat makes the steak great! Just like fatty burgers. Sometimes the burgers, with a little more fat, taste better.

Should my mom feel like it's 'useless' to make me eat Filet when my preference is Rib eye?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Oh people are free to hate black bars, but i'll have no hand in helping them along.

If the foolscreeners want to watch dvd's that way that's cool, all i'm saying is they'll get no assistance from me, otherwise i'm the equivelant of Jack Kavorkian for OAR...assisted foolscreening. ;)

No thanks, if this man wants a giant square on his wall when most new shows and movies shown on cable are 1.78:1, he's on his own.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Since you know, that would be stupidity :) Can you articulate why you prefer it? Have you tried it the "right" way? Can you tell the difference? Even so, if you acknowledge, "Yes, I know it's stupid, but for some reason I prefer it," that might be OK; everyone is entitled to a few foibles.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I do it because I want to make sure the center is cooked thoroughly. I don't know how (and don't care to learn) to do it the 'right' way, so I do it the way I know will work. It's not the best way, but again, it's the only way I know and I'm not about to change.

I think that's the similar thing with fullscreen lovers. This is the only way they know how to watch TV and they aren't going to allow themselves to watch it any other way. People do the same with computers. Some will avoid computers because they are used to dealing with paperwork...etc. etc.

I just a learned philosophy that is tough to break the cycle once you're used to it. I'll even admit that it was a little tough to get used to the black bars, but knowing why they were there, it made it easier to deal with those bars.

Perhaps others don't care enough about the right way to learn to watch movies this way. Again, that has nothing to do with stupidity or being a moron.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Ehem, I would say it kind of moronic to not want to accept or understand something. My step-dad doesn't wasnt to understand widescreen, if you explain it to him, he doesn't listen, and he doesn't want to know that he is missing part of the picture. The same with my grandfather, he doesn't want to understand the Best Buy employee is required to ask you to subscribe to Sports Illustrated, and if he/she does not ask they could loose their job. He doesn't care, because I explained it, and he still goes off on the employee, like it is their fault. By the way, that is one of my dissapointments, people that don't have any care about the employee's feelings and bursts on them, even if they know that it isn't their fault. It is just like people who get pissed when they can't return a DVD that they didn't like. Somehow it is the person behind the desk's fault, NO.:angry:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Not at all. That's not the definition of a moron.

What about the other examples I borught up? I'm sure a wine expert would look down upon ordering the "house" wine...and even though I know the house wine is not as good as the expensive stuff, if I like the house wine, does that make me a moron?

Would it be fair of me to say that anyone who eats Chef Boyardee is a complete moron? If you've ever had anything less than homemade sauce, you're an idiot. ;) If you prefer the cheaper brand to the expensive brand, does that make you dumb?

Why?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
In most things there is not only getting the absolute best (if it can even be defined) but getting value for money. In the case of wine, it may well be that the best value for money at a particular restaurant and on that day, may well be the house wine—if this is the case then getting the house wine demonstrates that you are an intelligent consumer, not a moron. And as everyone’s disposable income is different, ordering a wine within your budget makes you a smart consumer, not a moron.

Finally one should strive to match the wine to the food. Ordering up a bottle of Chateau Petrus with a hamburger (even if you can afford the tab) would actually be the act of a moron, not a wine expert.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
You are contradicting yourself, is it stupid to buy cheap food?, no. But it is stupid to pay out the nose to get cheap food. Sorry, but if someone pays $20 for a can of Chef Boyardee, then they aren't to smart. Just like spening $10,000 on a poorly integrated system, and not taking any pointers would also be stupid. That was the original point. Ignorance plays a card on people that buy Bose, for example.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I have no problems with ignorant, but ignorance does not always = idiocy as most people would like to believe.Exactly, but I was arguing the use of the term moron. Again, ignorance does not = moron.

Assuming someone is a moron because they are ignorant, makes you quite ignorant yourself.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
because, you pay more for the convenance. If one is paying $20 for Chef Boyardee, then they are probably paying for the convenance...whether it's the fact that they live far away from a grocery store and have to have food flown in, or they have to pay someone to shop for them, etc.

In other words, just because you are paying more than others do, it doesn't always mean you are stupid, ignorant, or a moron.

If I put more effort into things, I could probably get my grocery bill down a lot cheaper (with coupons and specials, etc.) but I don't bother to because I don't want to put in that effort. I know I'm paying more, but I don't care about that if it saves me the effort of clipping coupons, waiting for specials, etc. etc.

That's not being stupid, moronic, OR ignorant.

Just like asking someone to put the effort into getting used to the black bars. Unfortuantely some people just don't want to put in that effort, even if they realize it's the right way to watch a video.

It's not that hard to imagine. We do it all the time with other things.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Nah, I was merely replying to Dick's message - he was saying that people are morons and while I don't approve of improrely set up systems and non-OAR, I've learned not to be so judgemental of these people.

If you read my 'Life Highlight' thread, you'll know how I feel about people pushing their beliefs on me because they think that my way isn't the right way :D

RichP

Second Unit

Again I reiterate: Ignorance in and of itself is not a negative; however ignorance coupled with the stubborn refusal to become educated is, to me, the hallmark of a moron.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
One of my biggest disappointments was reading this thread all the way through, hoping that a glimmer of something interesting would show up.

Sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks