List A Disappointment- I'll Go First...

James Edward

Supporting Actor
About two years ago, I began working for a small A/V install company. I imagined going from house to house, tweaking systems to within an inch of their existence, leaving a trail of great sounding/looking systems in my wake. I am only an installer; I do not have the job of selling the system or educating the customer as to what to expect.

The reality - not one customer so far has been interested in having what I described above. As long as the TV is big and bright, and the subwoofer rumbles, they are happy.

Set it up properly, you say, and they will be happy? Think again. Unless the subwoofer can be heard at all times, and easily locatable, people feel they have not gotten their money's worth. Rear speakers are routinely way too loud, but unless they can be heard at all times, they must not be working properly.
No one, with one or two exceptions, accepts sidebars on 4:3 programming. Therefore, the TV's routinely look stretched and otherwise distorted.

Take the TV out of torch mode, you say? Then they can't watch their plasma TV with all the curtains up at 1 in the afternoon. At night, you could land planes in their living rooms.

Another thing that bugs me is that so many people will spend enormous amounts of money for whole house audio, and have mediocre sounding music in 6 rooms rather than excellent sound in 2 or 3. I'm sorry, but there is just something not right about music coming from the ceiling. I have an excellent Tivoli table radio that sounds better. Not to mention cheaper.

My rant is now over. Thank you for this opportunity.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Now that the Airing of the Grievances is over.... on to the Feats of Strength !

"wrestle your father, Georgie"...."It's a Festivus miracle!"

Ever consider going to the sales side of the house so you can be more consultative. Good luck !

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I guess none of us ever have to worry about that because we don't make enough money to afford plasmas, as well as having days off where we can watch TV while the sun is out.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
... after extensive explanations on which is best for the money, your best buddy goes ahead and gets a Bose system....and tells u about it more than 30 days later so he can't return them....
Now when he's over and drools on ur stuff, he bugs u to get his BOSE to sound better....yeah right!

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
This could be an extension of that A/V annoyance thread, but James's original post brought up something I don't understand.

J6P is buying 16:9 televisions now, it's a fact. But no one seems to be explaining "aspect ratio" to him.

I am so annoyed by seeing widescreen TVs set to the wrong, obviously wrong, aspect ratios. Images are squished and stretched and always look bizarre. Doesn't anyone understand this? Can't anyone explain that you need to adjust your aspect ratio so "Everybody Loves Raymond" isn't all stretched out and squished? Is it enjoyable to watch your shows all stretched out and squished?

I see this in people's homes, but also in bars and nightclubs and department stores and wherever widescreen TVs are displayed for use or sale. Whole sports bars of TVs, tens of TVs, all set on the wrong aspect ratio, and no one seems to mind.

I am disappointed in the industry's lack of education to the consumer. Please, don't sell me 7.1 until you explain FIVE POINT ONE better, so I can understand what I am buying. Don't sell me widescreen until I can understand aspect ratio, otherwise my TV shows are going to look silly (and I will look silly watching them).

Disappointed!

MC

mylan

Screenwriter
Not having found out about the HTF until AFTER I had had a house built. The home theater I had envisioned turned out less than I had planned both in dimensions and useabilty.
Not having wired for a projector because they were too expensive then.
Running the wiring for my whole house audio to an enclosed cabinent in my greatroom instead of a rack mount in my HT.
(Notice a trend here??)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My friends dont ask me about any of this stuff. They think i am to critical. Of course my friends and co workers think the $3000 i spent for a TV is to much money. We are talking professionals who could afford such things easier than me! But hey i drive a cheaper car so i can afford an expensive TV. Its all in what interests you.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
James, you describe exactly why I cringe when someone wants me to come over help them set up their shiny new A/V gear. The most recent example of this phenomenon has been my dad. I set his speaker levels with an SPL meter and still claims his sub is defective because it's not always on when watching TV. He then proceeds to monkey with receiver setting, messes them all up and then wants me to come over and "fix" his system. Maybe I should just turn the sub up to 11 and be done with it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure there are lots of things that we all do that would make 'enthusiasts' cringe.

EDIT: I mean enthusiasts of other hobbies (not HT)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
What I don't understand is why the broadcast industry is not keeping up with customer demand. I have read articles stating that they expect a sharp decline in 4:3 tube tvs. (less than 50% of sales next year) If customers are changing to the 16:9 flatscreens, than the shows should be broadcast in widescreen. I think it is more the shows are in the wrong aspect ratio. I would rather watch a 16:9 show on a 4:3 with the sides cut off than a 4:3 stretched.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
With my PDP I watch 4:3 material blown up and then moved down. I hate black side bars as well as squashed/stretched pictures too. Moving the picture down a little I lose some of what's showing but the bottom 10% of a show isn't that much.....plus it gits rid of the stupid station logos

Mort

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Here's my disappointment:

When I was a kid, I ordered some sneezing powder from an ad in a comic book. I couldn't get a single sneeze out of anyone! What a ripoff.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

This has to do with one of the biggest government flubs in years. In 1997 broadcasters agreed to convert to all digital high-def signals by 2006. Compatible televisions began being offered as the broadcasters slowly went online with digital high def signals. The government - in their profound wisdom and frugality - GAVE the broadcasters free bandwidth to broadcast the new signal with while they simultaneously continued their old signals. This was done with the understanding that in 2006 the broadcasters would give up their old frequency and retain only the shiny new high-def ones.

(Sam Kinnison font on)

Then, around 2005 - some nitwit asks "What about all of the poor people who couldn't afford to buy a TV in the last EIGHT years? What will they watch?". Nobody bothers to consider "Hey - maybe if those poor slobs were working instead of watching TV they WOULDN'T BE POOR! This could be a GOOD thing!!!" Nope - instead our foolish, er, compassionate government extended the deadline - and will likely do so again. Meanwhile broadcasters have figured out that the whole thing was just a load of crap so they really don't see the point of spending the cash to broadcast dual content. Commercials are all made for the old crappy format and consumers are left wondering why their TV now looks all stretchy: So poor people can continue watching TV instead of going to work.

(Sam Kinnison font off)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

This is one of the most ridiculous rants I have ever read. I know many many folks who are neither poor nor unemployed and have yet to purchase Hi-def sets. For some people TV is not priority...they do other things like read books, garden, whittle wood, and any number of hobbies that are not TV. Please get in touch with reality.

J

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget the cost in converting all of the existing footage into HD. That would be a major undertaking by the studios.True - it would be like the government demanding that everyone purchase a disel car and having all gas stations stop selling unleaded gasoline in a few years.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Once their old TVs stopped working people would simply move it up their priority. For about 30% the decision has already been made and they don't even know it. Of the remaining only about 20% - those relying on OTA signal -would be affected; the rest get cable or sat. Believe me - the 'TVs for the poor' is what held up the conversion in 06.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9697337/

It could be argued that DTV is not HDTV, but for the stations that have changed we can be grateful that the majority have decided to enable HDTV signal in the process - even though most of the day they broadcast only DTV quality pictures. Over time that likely will change as HDTV becomes the standard. People will eventually spend more time watching the news and other shows where everyone isn't all squishy.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
WTF? My parents don't have high-def not because they're poor, but because they don't care. They have two TVs - one is more than 10 years old and one is more than 20 years old, and they both still work perfectly fine. They can definitely afford a nice HDTV, but they're happy with what they have.

Are you sure about the high-def part? I thought the agreement was just to switch to digital, not all the way to high definition.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Digital transmission does not mean HD.

Also, my parents aren't poor - in fact they make a decent living. They added on a 3 season deck to their house and installed a fridge, a ceiling fan, etc. etc. - It's really nice out there - when we have dinner, my dad turns on the portable color TV so we can watch Jeopardy while we eat.

The TV picks up the analog air signal. Once the move goes to all digital, that TV won't pick up the analog signal. Again, my parents aren't poor.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvwatcher