Lisa Picard is Famous... or is she?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel C, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

As a fan of mockumentaries in general, I was eager to see Lisa Picard is Famous in the theater, but missed its brief showing at the local arthouse.

According to Amazon.com, it was released on the 22nd, while other sites say the 29th. I have yet to see cover art or specs anywhere.

Anyone have the disc? If so, what kind of features does it have? Is it worth buying for fans of Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, ect.?

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I had it on order to ship with my other January 22 preorders. Still waiting for it. Didn't see it since it never played here but heard some good things here from people whose opinions I value.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I did happen to catch this one in the theater at the local film club I belong to and even participated in a discussion with the stars of the film. However, I was going to pass on this until I saw what extras are offered and, until you mentioned it, forgot that the DVD was past due.
    Anxious to see how others like this disc. (I can't believe that I'm actually waiting before buying a disc. This must be a first for me.)
    [​IMG]

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

According to the box art on DVDEmpire, this is a featureless release, right down to a lack of the trailer (and perhaps even subtitles?). Not the "at least a commentary" I was hoping for.

I think it might be in P&S (or at least full frame) too. My copy should be here today (sadly, I ordered it, not expecting SUCH a crappy disc).

I better like the dang movie, or it'll be a total washout.

6. Mark Pfeiffer

My copy arrived Saturday, but I haven't had time to watch it yet. Does anyone know what the aspect ratio of this should be? This was a blind purchase as it never played here. The film is presented in 1.33:1, and a quick glance at it looks as if it could have been composed for this ratio. IMDB provides no information on this matter.
    FWIW, the DVD is as barebones as barebones can be. Main menu and chapters menu. That's it. I didn't realize First Look was who released it. I know I spotted some video store only releases from them at a Blockbuster a long time ago (don't worry, I was just killing time looking--didn't rent anything [​IMG]). I think The Opportunists may have been one of them, a worthwhile film with Christopher Walken that is unavailable on DVD as far as I know.
    Michael, any idea what the OAR is?

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

When I saw it at Film Forum, Lisa Picard was projected at 1.85:1. But since it was shot on DV and received only the most limited theatrical release, who knows what the real OAR is?

M.

8. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt in terms of OAR.

The DVD kinda blows, though. To think I ordered this when I could have added another title to my Woody Allen collection. Those might be featureless, but at least they have trailers, booklets, ect.

It doesn't help that I found the movie to be one joke stretched out over 80 minutes. Oh well, I took a risk, and considering the art house tickets are $9, I only paid about $2 more than seeing it in the theater (no extras there at all... well, maybe "other bonus trailers!).

9. Mark Pfeiffer

I'd bet this was supposed to be framed at 1.85:1. There are some shots that look cropped on the sides, and the footage underneath the end credits is letterboxed.

I've reviewed the DVD. (The link should be in my signature.) Can't say I was all that impressed with the film itself. It had a few funny moments, but a lot of the scenes felt way too long. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

10. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

I never heard anything about a Lisa Picard, but I have heard of Captain Picard.