Liquid Fabric Softener = Washing Machine Death ???

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Gorman, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

After a coworker discovered a fabric softener sheet stuck to her clothing this morning she and I had a discussion of liquid versus sheet fabric softener. She said that the liquid fabric softener builds up in all the mechanics of the washing machine like a sludge and takes years off the life of the washer. She claims that her washer repairperson said liquid softener should never be used for this reason.

I converted to liquid quite some time ago after years of using the sheets. My experience is that it takes quite a few of the wretched sheets to provide the same benefit as one capful of the liquid.

Even if the liquid softener does gunk up the washer, I wonder which would cost me more in the long run: buying a washer sooner than I otherwise might have had to, or having to use 6 sheets of softener for every load!

Has anybody else heard of liquid fabric softener being the curse of death for washing machines?

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

My wife has used that stuff (liquid) in our 10 year old Whirlpool washer since day one and the washer has never been serviced in any way...FWIW

Mort

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

my wife also uses nothing but liquid fabric softener ... no issues.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I use 'em both. No problems here either.

5. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor