What's new

Lip Synch Problem with my HT (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Hey all!

I've noticed a lip synch problem while playing certain DVDs (The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom). I haven't gone through my entire library, but these are the titles for which the problem is most evident. The video image tends to lag behind the dialogue and sound effects by a fraction of a second. Interestingly, the problem is most evident during the initial playback of a DVD, but appears to correct itself as the movie continues to play. My player is a HK DVD-22 and my HT system is an Onkyo HTS-770. I'm running a digital audio coax cable to the receiver and component video cables to my projector. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing the problem? I'm going to try to hooking up my Pioneer DV-434 and see if the problem continues. If that corrects the problem, I'm taking the HK back for a a replacement.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There might be some lip sync. error during the DVD production and therefore recorded right onto the disk.

Try S-video or composite to a non-HD TV set and compare any lip sync. error. This checks for lip sync. error on the DVD.(Some progressive DVD players need an explicit setting to non-progressive in order to even use the composite jack)

Almost all good de-interlacing introduces some lip sync. error. If the lip sync. error on the disk is in the same direction (advance or delay) as that from the de-interlacer (in an HDTV set if you use non-progressive DVD output) then the combined lip sync. error is more obvious.

The Pioneer 434 DVD player has "horrendous" or rather very crude de-interlacing. It may very well introduce much less lip sync. error in progressive mode than a "better" progressive player or than interlaced mode output to your (HD)TV and through the TV's de-interlacer.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the reply Allan. Just for clarification, my display is through an InFocus Screenplay 4805. Your post is enlightening given that the ScreenPlay's Faroudja chip is so good. Anyway, I tried switching the DVD players last night and the problem disapeared with the Pioneer. Hmmm. I want a newer player with my HT, but I'm wary about this interlaced/lip synch issue. I wonder if there's a newer player that's better suited to the ScreenPlay with respect to interlaced output. Any thoughts?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I know the Silicon Image de-interlacer chips introduce lip sync. error and I am quite sure the Faroudja chips with DCDi do also, as video delay. So any interlaced input to your projector will get lip sync. error. It may be time to explore lip sync. error compensation on the audio end, although the cost is not trivial. I haven't seen a DVD player with lip sync. compensation but I suspect such a player does the compensation on the audio.

The Pioneer 434 is a perfectly good standard (interlaced output) player although in that regard it does not solve your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks