Lip Synch Fixes?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by James Edward, Jan 10, 2006.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Using a NAD T-753 receiver and Yamaha C-950 DVD player produces some lip synch issues as displayed through a Pioneer 5060HD plasma TV.

Neither the DVD player nor receiver appears to have a setting to correct this- so what is the next step?

Currently, the component video is switched through the receiver, and the digital audio is decoded there too.

Would sending the component video directly to the TV lessen or eliminate the synch issue? To be honest, I'm not sure where the problem lies...

Any thoughts are appreciated...

2. John S

John S Producer

What fixes it right now?? Do you pause/stop the movie and when you press play again your synced for a while again?

Or does is it just never in sync?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Same question as John. But I definitely would advise connecting the DVD player directly to the display.

The lip-synch issue seems largely to have died out with the second generation of DVD players, but it does occur occasionally. So try a simple Pause/Stop/Play maneuver.

4. James Edward

Thanks for the replies- I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

As far as when it occurs, it seems to be all the time. I set up the system for someone, and had hoped to be able to switch the video thru the receiver to make it easier for them to use.
    However, they seem to have caught on quite nicely after only a week, so going directly to the display shouldn't throw them too much...

So- if going directly to the display should help, would using an HDMI connection speed things along even more, since there is one less D/A conversion? I'll probably go the HDMI route, since I only used component because they wanted as much simplicity as possible...

5. James Edward

Another thought-
    Does using an optical digital signal from DVD to receiver slow the audio down slightly, due to it having to convert the optical signal to a digital format the receiver can use?

6. John S

John S Producer

If you can feed digitally in the native resolution of the digital display. It should eliminate it entirely. I would think the scaler is lagging behind in the display.