What's new

Lionsgate signs video distribution pact with Sony. (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
From the Article
While many major studios have collapsed their marketing and distribution ops to focus jointly on theatrical and streaming releases, what is simply going on here is that Lionsgate is getting a new home entertainment distribution partner. Lionsgate use to distribute their DVDs, etc through 20th Century Fox. Following Fox’s acquisition by Disney, that deal will lapse in July, and the new one with Sony will commence.

...As was touted earlier this week, Paramount+ will include popular Lionsgate movies like The Hunger Games in their library when it launches on March 4.

Filmfanatic10

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
F
I don't know how this would affect Lionsgate's distribution deal with Entertainment One in Canada, unless they decided to restart their own Canadian operations a few years back and then shift physical media distribution to Sony in that country.

Besides, this is a very fitting deal for both companies. Sometimes, I was predicting a Sony/Lionsgate tie-up, whether it be a merger/acquisition or just distribution.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don't know how this would affect Lionsgate's distribution deal with Entertainment One in Canada, unless they decided to restart their own Canadian operations a few years back and then shift physical media distribution to Sony in that country.

Besides, this is a very fitting deal for both companies. Sometimes, I was predicting a Sony/Lionsgate tie-up, whether it be a merger/acquisition or just distribution.
It was either going to be Sony or Paramount. Both have historic ties with Lionsgate. As for eOne, pretty sure that much like Elevation, Mongrel Media, VVS and other Canadian distributors, there was no need for any change, as the contracts are not parallel for timing.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Interesting. I didn't believe TCFHE had distribution rights on Lionsgate digital media [physical or otherwise] in Canada. I know some titles had passed to Mongrel Media [those owned by StudioCanal], and Mongrel had a joint venture with Cineplex for theatrical distribution, but this is curious.

rooststead

Auditioning
Real Name
James

context: I work at a music/movie store in Canada.

Lionsgate's titles are coming to us through Disney right now, but I'm not entirely sure how the EOne thing works. I have seen some Lionsgate titles come to us through EOne/Universal but I can't remember the last time I saw that happen, and all the Lionsgate stock we've gotten through Disney (that I can remember) has been 100% Lionsgate branded (this includes catalog titles like Jacob's Ladder, which was somehow a new release back in January despite being a repress of the 2010 release...).

I'm assuming Lionsgate's distro will change to Sony come July (we'll see if this means it's easier or harder to get Lionsgate titles... we seem to have issues getting Sony stock in) but I have no idea if EOne would still have Canadian rights on anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilybets