Press Release Lionsgate Press Release: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (4k UHD) (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 13, 2017.

1. 1 Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

“A visual masterpiece. Luc Besson again proves why he is a genius filmmaker.”

-Bill Zwecker, Fox TV

An Adventure Beyond Your Imagination

188727_front.jpg

[​IMG]

Luc Besson’s Visually Groundbreaking Epic Arrives on 4K Ultra HDTM Combo Pack, Blu-rayTM Combo Pack and DVD on November 21

4K Ultra HD™ to include both Dolby Vision™ and Dolby Atmos®

Digital HD Available on November 7

SANTA MONICA, CA (September 13, 2017) – Packed with out-of-this-world action unlike anything you’ve ever seen, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets heads to 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack (plus Blu-ray and Digital HD), Blu-ray Combo Pack (plus DVD and Digital HD), and DVD November 21 from Lionsgate; and on Digital HD November 7 and On Demand November 21. Based on the best-selling French comic series “Valérian and Laureline” by Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières, published by Dargaud - visionary writer/director Luc Besson (The Fifth Element, Lucy) advances this iconic source material into a contemporary, unique and epic science fiction saga produced by Virginie Besson-Silla. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets stars Dane DeHaan (The Amazing Spider-Man 2), Cara Delevingne (Suicide Squad), Golden Globe® nominee Clive Owen (Children of Men), Academy Award® nominee Ethan Hawke (Best Supporting Actor, Boyhood, 2014), Golden Globe® & Emmy® winner John Goodman (voice) (“Rosanne”) with 7-time GRAMMY Award® winner Rihanna, and Golden Globe® winner Rutger Hauer (Bladerunner). The film features a soundtrack by Oscar® winner Alexandre Desplat (Best Original Score, The Grand Budapest Hotel, 2014)

In the 28th century, Valerian (DeHaan) and Laureline (Delevingne) are a team of special operatives charged with maintaining order throughout the human territories. Under assignment from the Minister of Defense, the two embark on a mission to the astonishing city of Alpha—an ever-expanding metropolis where species from all over the universe have converged over centuries to share knowledge, intelligence, and cultures with each other. There is a mystery at the center of Alpha, a dark force which threatens the peaceful existence of the City of a Thousand Planets, and Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the marauding menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe.

The Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets home entertainment release features the five part documentary “Citizens of Imagination: Creating the Universe of Valerian” which delves into the creation of the characters in the film, including both humans and alien lifeforms, along with insight into the production design, special effects, and stunts. The home entertainment release also features a “The Art of Valerian” photo gallery, and Enhancement Pods. The 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray versions feature Dolby Atmos® audio remixed specifically for the home-theater environment, to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray also features Dolby Vision™ high dynamic range (HDR), growing Lionsgate’s library of titles featuring both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Dolby Vision transforms the TV experience in the home by delivering greater brightness and contrast, as well as a fuller palette of rich colors. Together with the captivating sound of Dolby Atmos, consumers will experience both cutting-edge imaging and state-of-the-art sound technology for a fully immersive entertainment experience.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets will be available on 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack, and DVD for the suggested retail price of $42.99, $39.99 and $29.95, respectively.

4K/BLU-RAY/DVD/DIGITAL HD SPECIAL FEATURES

· “Citizens of Imagination: Creating the Universe of Valerian” Multi-Part Documentary

o Paper, Ink, Flesh, Blood: Origins and Characters

o To Alpha and Beyond: Production and Stunts

o Denizens of the Galaxy: Humans and Aliens

o The Final Element: Visual Effects

o Wrap Up

· Enhancement Pods

· “The Art of Valerian” Photo Gallery

PROGRAM INFORMATION

Year of Production: 2017

Title Copyright: © 2017 Valerian SAS / TF1 Films Production. All Rights Reserved.

Type: Theatrical Release

Rating: PG-13 for sci-fi violence and action, suggestive material and brief language

Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Closed-Captioned: N/A

Subtitles: Spanish, English SDH

Feature Run Time: 137 minutes

4K UHD Format: Dolby Vision, 2160p Ultra High Definition 16x9 Widescreen 2.40:1 Presentation

BD Format: 1080p High Definition 16x9 Widescreen 2.40:1 Presentation

DVD Format: 16x9 Widescreen 2.40:1 Presentation

4K UHD Audio: English Dolby Atmos, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital Audio Optimized for Late-Night Listening, English Descriptive Audio

BD Audio: English Dolby Atmos, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital Audio Optimized for Late-Night Listening, English Descriptive Audio

DVD Audio: English 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Sigh. No 3D.

Hey, was this film any good?

3. RichMurphy

RichMurphy Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Rich
    Like Besson's THE FIFTH ELEMENT, you'll probably either love it or hate it.

I happened to love it, despite its many flaws, and look forward to the 4K Blu-Ray. Lionsgate has posted the opening sequence online - link below. If this sequence interests you, you'll probably like it. If you think it's stupid, I'd suggest passing on it.

Interdimensional likes this.
  4. TJPC

TJPC Screenwriter

Terry Carroll
    Amazon.uk is offering the 3D for £19.99 I saw this in the theatre and I found the 3D Avitar quality, but unlike Avitar, the 3D was the only reason to see it.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Wow, this is priced much higher than Lionsgate's other UHD releases. I have not seen this film, but do like Besson's work. I would take a chance on a blind buy if this was priced like the studio's other 4K titles, but not at this price.

6. 6 Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Actually, it's not price any higher than other 2017 film released by them onto 4K/UHD disc that wasn't a catalog title. It's the same $42.99 MSRP as when Power Rangers another 2017 film released on 4K/UHD disc this year. I expect films released theatrically this year to have higher MSRP than films that have been released in prior years and have been out on Blu-ray beforehand. Studios maximizing ROI for films that are still on their open books has long history of such accounting in the home video market. Such monies from home video helps the profit margin for films still on their open books.

Another excellent example is the difference in MSRP of John Wick vs. John Wick Chapter 2 on 4K/UHD disc. The former is $22.99 with the latter $42.99.

7. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Amazon UK is releasing a combo 4K/3D exclusive package, and it's reasonably priced.

Tino likes this.
  8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I didn't realize the John Wick films were from Lionsgate. Thanks. I do have the first Wick film on UHD, but have not purchased the second one yet because of its higher price.

Looks like this one will be a rental for me if I want to see it anytime soon.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I have a feeling the second film will be discounted this Black Friday period.

10. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    I liked Fifth Element, but this one pretty much put me to sleep. The opening is good and it has its moments, but too few and far between. And I thought the leads were dreadful.

Bryan^H likes this.
  11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, the trailers didn't do anything for me so I'm very hesitant to buy any of its video releases.

12. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    I saw it in theaters.

I thought it could have been better. The two lead actors weren't believable in their roles and chemistry between the two wasn't convincing.

That being said, it was far more original than some of the other summer films I've seen. I enjoyed it more than Transformers and The Mummy.

13. Interdimensional

Interdimensional Second Unit

Ed
    ... certainly better than Transformer:TLK and The Mummy, but that's not setting the bar very high.

I'd advise tracking down an international 3D version, if you are so inclined. The 3D is worth it.

I enjoyed every minute of it. It's fast-paced and has a lot of very cool ingredients. Some incredible designs and very imaginative sequences. Taken as a whole, it does take a few missteps. The storyline and performances could've been more engaging. In some ways I thought was kind of on the same level as a Star Wars prequel. If you enjoy alien worlds and that kind of thing, it's fun to take in all the scenery and visuals while not trying too hard to make sense of all the nonsense.

It's a better film than it's been given credit for.

RichMurphy likes this.
  14. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Region free?

15. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Late November

16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Late November what?

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I liked this, but it's very different from every other trailer I've seen. We don't see the lead actors nor any of the plot that will drive the movie. This doesn't seem like a good representation of the movie, though I admit I have not seen it.

18. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

It won't release until Late November so there is no way to know whether it's going to be Region Free until somebody gets a disc to check.
    Anything before that is pure speculation, It's not even from a studio you could make a pretty good guess. Lionsgate normally locks their disc in the US and UK (not 100%), but they aren't releasing in other EU countries -- the distributing companies have some of each.

Pretty much the argument as the International T2 releases except that discs had a higher probability of being locked based on past history of the companies, but it's not 100% and nobody is going be able to say until Late Oct or early Nov when the actual discs are in hand.

Tino likes this.
  19. RichMurphy

RichMurphy Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Rich

Maybe that's because the clip isn't a trailer at all, but instead is an extended clip from the film, showing Besson's filmmaking style and approach to the material. Again, while I found it a clever way to introduce the world situation represented in the film, others thought it was stupid, wondering what David Bowie had to do with this. To each his own.

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.