1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Lionsgate Press Release: The Limey (4K Digital)

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Soderbergh is awesome in that few of his films are alike. He will use similar techniques at times but he doesn’t make the same movie twice. I think his run from 1998 through 2002 is pretty unbeatable:
    -Out Of Sight
    -The Limey
    -Erin Brockovich
    -Traffic
    -Ocean’s 11
    -Full Frontal
    -Solaris

Walter Kittel likes this.
  2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I have seen a few of those films already and will catch up on those I have not.

Will say that I don't think THE LIMEY really benefited from the 4k presentation. Overall, the transfer doesn't look as sharp and detailed as other titles I have seen. I would say more on the softer side. There were moments of increased facial detail that I noticed, but other than that, as much as I really enjoyed this film it didn't come across as a title that would do any better on 4k vs. Blu-ray.

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    There wasn’t a Blu-ray, so it’s a big step up from the old DVD.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Aaah, did not know that. So, certainly, this is a huge upgrade.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yeah, it never got released on DVD so when I came across this 4K digital, I jumped on it because I liked this movie quite a lot. By the way, did you ever see Billy Budd? It's an early Terence Stamp movie that really put him on the map as he got his only Oscar nomination from that movie.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

It's $10 digital. If you think I should have it in my collection I rarely go wrong with your recommendations.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's a terrific movie. Just remember this is a Warner Archive BD release, but the HD digital is probably derived from an older transfer when the 2007 DVD was released. WA doesn't allow their new transfers to appear on iTunes, Vudu and etc.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Looks like I am just better off buying the Blu-ray then.

Let me look at prices beyond Amazon

9. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Superman II, of course! "KNEEL before Zod!!!" ;)

10. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I have to disagree with you completely here Ron. I've seen The Limey over a dozen times. Owned the DVD, which was pretty mediocre. The Blu-ray was a bit better, but nothing to shout about. Bought the HD digital from iTunes and watched that, and to be honest didn't feel that it was a huge leap above the DVD in quality. The movie as always looked a bit soft and the pastel-like color timing enhanced that look. However, within the first few minutes of watching the film in 4K on iTunes (via my ATV4K and 65" LG OLED), I was blown away. It is VERY filmic, displaying great grain structure and detail. It was like viewing it for the first time again. I think it's leaps and bounds better than the HD, both the streaming copy and the Blu-ray. No contest.

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

For Terence Stamp the obvious movie to see is Poor Cow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_Cow which is the source of his character in The Limey (and a few bits from Poor Cow are in The Limey).
    So far as I can tell, it is not available online - you can get the Blu-ray or DVD if your equipment can deal with Region B or 2: https://www.amazon.com/Poor-Cow-Blu-ray/dp/B01FXX8MV2

Josh's list of Soderbergh films is an excellent one - here is my slightly modified version:
    -Sex, Lies and Videotape
    -Gray's Anatomy (Spalding Gray movie)
    -Out Of Sight (what clearly lead to The Limey in directorial approach - and an absolute pleasure)
    -The Limey
    -Traffic
    -Solaris (much hated by admirers of the famous Andrei Tarkovsky 1972 film but as someone who read the Lem novel more than once before seeing the Tarkovsky version, I see that Soderbergh has more in common with Lem than Tarkovsky - calling his version a "remake" makes no sense- but yes, certainly see Tarkovsky's film as well)
    -Ocean’s 12 (presumably you should see 11 first - but 12 is the Limeyfied version - again all your expectations are trampled)
    -Che (Parts 1 & 2)
    -Haywire
    -Magic Mike
    -"The Knick" (TV series, most (all??) episodes directed by Soderbergh)
    -High Flying Bird (like all his recent films - shot exclusively on an iPhone - forgot to mention, Soderbergh is and has been for a long time his own cinematographer under the fake name of Peter Andrews - I think he started with Traffic)

Apologies for being in full film buff mode - but hey so is Soderbergh - lastly, after seeing Sex, Lies and Videotape I'd recommend reading his book on its making: https://www.amazon.com/Sex-Lies-Videotape-Movie-Screenplay/dp/0060965266/
    (obviously out of print)

Josh Steinberg likes this.