1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Lionsgate Press Release: The Limey (4K Digital)

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

meli and dpippel like this.
  2. meli

meli Auditioning

David
    I may go, too. I'm surprised there are still tickets available.

Is this a streaming re-release only? Is there not going to be a 4K UHD Bluray?

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    So far there's been no disc release announced, so streaming only for now.

meli likes this.
  4. Message #44 of 71 Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    I was hoping for a regular Blu (non 4K) physical release of The Limey (1999); too bad. This is an excellent flick, and one of Soderbergh's best. I first saw this about 10-12 years ago, and it's become one of my favorite '90's movies. Great neo-noir thriller that really explores the past & how the decisions you make when you're young affect the type of person you become. I really liked the use of flash-backs from an older Terence Stamp film (Poor Cow) to show the character in his younger years; very clever way to depict the bygone era. Peter Fonda reminded me of an older version of Wyatt, his character in Easy Rider (1969).

However, a 4K streaming release is not something I'm interested in. That being said, this type of release just further illustrates something we already knew - streaming has become immensely popular, to the unfortunate detriment of physical media.

I'll stick with the regular DVD - which I just got (unopened) for $5.

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Assuming you have the same DVD as me - it has the Lem Dobbs/Soderbergh commentary track plus a '60s "docucommentary"

Not regretting spinning media going away - if I never buy another spinning disk, I'll be happy - regretting all the special features of the DVD era not being in the iTunes releases.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    It was released by Koch Media, a few days ago (available on Amazon Germany) as a "mediabook" with a DVD and a 1080p blu-ray:

LimeyBD.
    (click here)

I bought it and just received it, but I haven't watched it yet.

It's one of my favourite movies, I was thrilled to see it finally released on Blu-ray.
    Although released in Germany, it has both German and English languages (audio and subtitles).

Cees

7. Blu_rayfan66

Blu_rayfan66 Stunt Coordinator

Hugh S.
    Hi Cees- please give us your impressions of the bluray once you have viewed it (picture/audio quality)...one of my favorite movies and easily in Soderbergh's Top 3 in my opinion.

I still have the ancient Artisan Entertainment DVD and have been waiting for this since the launch of the bluray format!

I consider this film a classic. Brilliant acting all around.

(quick tip...anyone who likes this may enjoy Mike Hodges gritty British film 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead' (Clive Owen, Malcolm McDowell)

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Hugh,

Watched it last night.

This is an excellent release.
    It's German (so: European), meaning all info text on the cover, as well as in the booklet, is in German and regions are B (Blu-ray) and 2 (DVD).
    It won't play on my region A machine (having two machines is the less expensive solution, compared to region-freed players). That won't be a problem for you (in Ireland if I understand well).

Audio is fine (no sync problems I noticed), language and subtitles both in English and German. The extras have reviews in English with German subtitles.

I don't want to hijack this 4k-thread, so for a more extensive (although not huge :) ) description, please see the German Releases thread in the Blu-ray and UHD forum.

Cees

9. Blu_rayfan66

Blu_rayfan66 Stunt Coordinator

Hugh S.

Thank you so much Cees- will reply in the other thread.

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

The Limey screening at the Walter Reade was fantastic. The most interesting thing from the Q&A was that originally the film had beginning to end timeline, and the first test were a dud, so Soderbergh decided to chop up the timeline and mix it up The Limey - with wonderful results. This was helped by using an Avid for the first time to do the editing, which made it far easier to experiment with different cuts. It would have been doable by cutting and pasting the actual film, but more difficult and less likely to do when you were really not sure about the result.
    My pic of Steven Soderbergh greating Luis Guzmán:

Steven Soderbergh - The Limey small.

dpippel, TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  11. meli

meli Auditioning

David
    Any chance someone in the audience asked Soderbergh about a 4K UHD Blu-ray release of "The Limey?

dpippel likes this.
  12. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

No, they did not. Honestly, as someone with a 3,000+ spinning disc collection I’ll be happy if I never buy another one, and stick to iTunes and streaming. I have a feeling that most Walter Reade theatre goers feel the exact same way

Bob Cashill likes this.
  13. Message #53 of 71 Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    meli

meli Auditioning

David

Actually, I believe the opposite. Many people who endure the inconvenience and expense of going to a movie theater to watch a film that they could stream at home for less money, they may also be willing to fork over the dough for a higher fidelity physical copy.

I can't imagine you took that photo on your webpage with a phone. We have to fight the urge to sacrifice quality for convenience.

Jesse Skeen likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    At one point that was true, but times are changing even for people that were once hardcore disc collectors.

Ted Todorov and Scott Merryfield like this.
  15. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    But the choice should be present.
    Currently there's no sight on a DVD or Blu-ray of The Irishman, which I find a pity.

Cees

16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    But what if providing that choices poses a threat to your business model?

If you’re Netflix, you justified spending $165 million on The Irishman as a means to drive subscriptions. The appeal is that it’s a “A” picture that can’t be seen anywhere else. Once it’s available on another format or service, that value is gone. It may be on disc one day but first they need to protect their investment. They didn’t spend $165 million on a picture designed to win award recognition only to give it away before award season ends.

In the case of Lionsgate and The Limey, they might be stuck in the perfect storm of higher costs for being a smaller label doing a smaller print run, limited availability of replication facilities, sharply declining catalog sales on physical media, and overall declining sales period.

I can very easily envision a scenario where releasing a 4K disc that doesn’t sell could wipe out all profit potential remaining for this title.

They might also do a Paramount and release a 4K disc later if the digital sales indicate stronger than expected demand.

I agree it would be great to have these things on disc. But there’s probably also a point where the studio has crunched their numbers and determined that a disc release wasn’t financially worthwhile at this time. I’m not sure how reasonable it is to expect for profit companies to engage in money losing endeavors.

Bob Cashill likes this.
  17. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I'm watching the 4K iTunes stream again and just wanted to reiterate that it is GORGEOUS. This is the best The Limey has EVER looked outside of a theater. Just a beautiful, film-like presentation! The audio sync is still off though. Hopefully it'll be corrected soon.

18. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    With Twilight Time, we've seen that most catalogue titles struggle to sell even 3000 copies. And that's on standard blu-ray. 4K only represents about 13% of blu-ray sales - or 390 out of that 3000. What company in their right mind would go to the trouble of pressing and packaging discs to sell 400 copies in a best case scenario?

19. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have this on D-VHS- less than 100 movies were released on that format altogether.

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just purchased this film and watched it for the first time in digital 4k.

It was a totally different film than what I expected it to be. That's not a criticism.

I fell in love with the film within its first 15 minutes. I know very little about Terence Stamp, but his character is one that grabs and holds you.

What I expected was a bloody no-holds-barred shoot-out thriller.

Instead, I found it to be practically void of everything I expected and replaced with a superbly intriguing story.

I feel as if I should be watching more Terence Stamp or more Soderbergh films.

I look forward to your recommendations