What's new

Lionsgate Press Release: Terminator 2 Judgement Day Limited Collector's Edition (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
I'm counting the seconds until my steelbook lands just in case they pull the plug or another delay crops up. This has been the most sketchy release I've seen for any Arnie flick in my 47 years of fandom so please drop through my letter box sometime soon!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
6638cfee-4b85-41b9-beec-c2b7bd351d13.jpg

Due to unforeseeable production delays, the TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY ENDOARM 4K UHD LIMITED COLLECTOR’S EDITION and 4K Ultra HD have been postponed and will not be released on the previously announced date.

Lionsgate does not have a new street date to announce at this time, but please know that they are working as quickly as possible to resolve these issues and deliver a product worthy of Terminator 2: Judgment Day’s biggest fans.

We apologize for the delay and hope you will continue to support this amazing title as Lionsgate aims to work diligently towards the creation of a quality product that collectors are sure to love.

If you have previously requested, please note that we will save your request on file.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

-Tyler

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Oh dear. I'm still guessing but suspect its a authoring issue for the relatively new 4K Ultra HD system bringing back not so fond memories when we first started authoring the new Blu-Ray media here many moons ago now. Fingers crossed it will all eventually happen for 4K fans but for me I'll be happy enough to get my hands on the 3D Blu-Ray.

If anyone is up in Glasgow T2 3D in being screened again as part of the Halloween programme perhaps the last chance to see it on the big Cinema .
Showcase Cinema Glasgow in 3D on 31st Oct
Also Pickaquoy Centre Orkney Islands with 2 screenings on the 31st along with the original Terminator

Enjoy!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So far the delay has been blamed on a

Problem in the 2K Master
Problem in the 4K MAster (possibly stemming from the above)
Problem with the EndoArm production
Problems with the 3D transfer that Cameron disliked when he saw the disc.
Problems with Cameron objecting to the lack of 3D in the US for the film that was specifically redone to get it in 3D
Delay to allow theatrical release and run in Asia

Studio actually listening to fans and going back to transfer the Non Directors Cut portion as a 4K
Studio giving in the Cameron and removing any new transfer of the Non Directors Cut.

Studio and.or Cameron being ticked off a the lower than expected US box office or Cameron being steamed at how poorly the
theatrical release and advertising has gone.
Conspiracy Theory that "someone" had pulled the release b/c it was never supposed to be released at all and it was all just free advertising trying to ramp up the fan base for the theatrical release

And then the theories get crazy from that point on

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
I'm trying very hard not to read any more bad news about what should be a glorious release but will be patient until December 4th to pass my own verdict.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
It appears they're aware of the problem which is probably why the 4K/UHD releases have been delayed into 2018. No exact date indicated on Amazon U.S.A.

Well, there is this language in the review:
N.b. Just before this review went to press for inclusion in HCC #279, Lionsgate announced an indefinite delay to its Ultra HD BD of Terminator 2: Judgment Day in the US. We were subsequently informed that Studiocanal's UK release was being delayed until December 4 - however when we asked whether or not there would be any differences in the retail discs to the ones we were sent for review, we were informed that 'It's literally just a production delay and the discs will be no different to the ones you received'.
Picture rating: 2.5/5

I believe Lionsgate's release is at the mercy of whatever master StudioCanal provide to them, so we can only hope that this reviewer is wrong about the cause of the release delay.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A production delay is usually 2-3 weeks, not indefinite with no release date until some time in 2018.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Very strange, recent Canal Plus 4K sourced masters have retained the film grain and, Aliens certainly retained it with Cameron approval; could it be someone made a huge mistake.

We should find out soon enough I guess.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I saw the 3D version theatrically and it definitely looked like it had been scrubbed clean of any grain.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
A production delay is usually 2-3 weeks, not indefinite with no release date until some time in 2018.

Does the HTF ownership have any contacts at Lionsgate? If so, can someone reach out to them to try to find out a bit more?

Very strange, recent Canal Plus 4K sourced masters have retained the film grain and, Aliens certainly retained it with Cameron approval; could it be someone made a huge mistake.

We should find out soon enough I guess.

I imagine it has to do with who is responsible for financing the 4k scan. In the case of Aliens, Fox owns the film and would have financed the transfer and final tweaking. They are on good terms with Cameron and probably want to keep him happy, since he is using them to distribute and finance the Avatar sequels and he has made them a lot of money in the past.

Did StudioCanal distribute Aliens internationally? I figured it would still be Fox.

I know Cameron has about as much clout in Hollywood as any director could ever hope for, but I imagine the ownership situation with T2 is much more out of his control; and at the end of the day StudioCanal would really only have to go the extra mile out of courtesy to Cameron, not because of any ongoing business relationship which they would have to worry about souring.

But maybe I am wrong about all the above... would love to be corrected by someone more in-the-know.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well if there was ever an argument about how 4k is getting ruined for the sake of a legacy format like 3D, this may be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks