Press Release Lionsgate Press Release: Basic Instinct (4k UHD)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Even though, I have it on BD, I bought the iTunes HD Digital the other day for $4.99 in anticipation of this 4K release.

titch

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Yes, the digital version available for streaming looks very nice, so I hope Warner doesn't go overboard with the HDR on the disc.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Even though, I have it on BD, I bought the iTunes HD Digital the other day for $4.99 in anticipation of this 4K release.
Which version did you buy on iTunes -- the theatrical cut or director's cut? They are listed separately for purchase.

Until we know the details of the UHD release, is it possible that only one of the iTunes cuts gets upgraded to 4K?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Which version did you buy on iTunes -- the theatrical cut or director's cut? They are listed separately for purchase.

Until we know the details of the UHD release, is it possible that only one of the iTunes cuts gets upgraded to 4K?
Does the theatrical version have Stone's vagina in full display? If not then the iTunes version that doesn't specifically state it's the "Uncut Version" is the "Uncut Version" because her vagina is on full display in 1080p.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Does the theatrical version have Stone's vagina in full display? If not then the iTunes version that doesn't specifically state it's the "Uncut Version" is the "Uncut Version" because her vagina is on full display in 1080p.
I am not 100% certain, but I thought that was even in the theatrical cut. I am not sure what was added to the director's cut. I just noticed that iTunes was selling the two versions separately, and we do not know yet which version Warner Brothers is releasing on UHD... or if both versions will be included. So, if we purchase one version in iTunes, and just the other version gets included in the UHD release, then there will be no free upgrade for our iTunes version.

Both versions are currently $9.99 on iTunes, so I will not be buying either right now anyway. Hopefully there will be additional information about the UHD release before the iTunes prices drop back down to $4.99.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I am not 100% certain, but I thought that was even in the theatrical cut. I am not sure what was added to the director's cut. I just noticed that iTunes was selling the two versions separately, and we do not know yet which version Warner Brothers is releasing on UHD... or if both versions will be included. So, if we purchase one version in iTunes, and just the other version gets included in the UHD release, then there will be no free upgrade for our iTunes version.

Both versions are currently $9.99 on iTunes, so I will not be buying either right now anyway. Hopefully there will be additional information about the UHD release before the iTunes prices drop back down to $4.99.
The iTunes version I bought looks identical with the same runtime to my 2007 BD which has the uncut version.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The differences between the theatrical and uncut:
  • The murder of Johnny Boz in the opening scene is more graphic; we see the killer stabbing him in his neck, stabbing him repeatedly in the chest, in the face and we see the ice-pick passing through his nose.
  • The scene where Nick rapes Beth is severely cut in the US version (we see ripping off her underwear and forcing her over the couch, then there's a cut to the two of them lying in bed). In the uncut version Nick pulls down his pants, penetrates Beth from behind and he apparently has an orgasm.
  • The scene where Nick and Catherine make love after going to the disco is longer much more explicit in the uncut version (Nick is seen burying his face between her legs).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
The iTunes version I bought looks identical with the same runtime to my 2007 BD which has the uncut version.
That's the version I have on BD, as well. I no longer own the old theatrical release that I had on DVD.

When I search for "Basic Instinct" on iTunes, the director's cut specifically says it is the director's cut. I am assuming that the other version that does not mention that is the theatrical cut.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
The differences between the theatrical and uncut:
  • The murder of Johnny Boz in the opening scene is more graphic; we see the killer stabbing him in his neck, stabbing him repeatedly in the chest, in the face and we see the ice-pick passing through his nose.
  • The scene where Nick rapes Beth is severely cut in the US version (we see ripping off her underwear and forcing her over the couch, then there's a cut to the two of them lying in bed). In the uncut version Nick pulls down his pants, penetrates Beth from behind and he apparently has an orgasm.
  • The scene where Nick and Catherine make love after going to the disco is longer much more explicit in the uncut version (Nick is seen burying his face between her legs).
That's the iTunes version I bought last weekend.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am glad we are all on the same page as far as our priorities with this film. :)

How did this end up at Warner?
That might be my mistake. I saw it listed alongside BLADE with similar packaging. I don't know which studio has the rights to this film. I'll be happy to change the studio label if there is further clarification.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
That's the version I have on BD, as well. I no longer own the old theatrical release that I had on DVD.

When I search for "Basic Instinct" on iTunes, the director's cut specifically says it is the director's cut. I am assuming that the other version that does not mention that is the theatrical cut.
As many mistakes iTunes make with their titles I wouldn't go by that. Everything that Worth noted is in the iTunes version that doesn't have that director's cut designate.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Scott Merryfield

titch

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
That might be my mistake. I saw it listed alongside BLADE with similar packaging. I don't know which studio has the rights to this film. I'll be happy to change the studio label if there is further clarification.
Most probably StudioCanal in Europe and Lionsgate in the US.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll update this to cautiously reflect a Lionsgate release. Thanks, guys!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shredhead1260