Lionsgate MOD Coming

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ahollis, Dec 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    ARTISAN had licensed the rights to the Republic Library from Spelling Entertainment before the merger with Blockbuster and then Viacom and then Paramount, and when ARTISAN was bought by LIONSGATE, they continued to licence the titles. But neither company did much with them.
    As far as i can tell, it was only Republic titles,no Paramount titles were part of the deal. Not sure if any of the non-republic titles that were part of the NTA library was included.
    If LIONSGATE opted not to renew the contract, there's a chance OLIVE FILMS could eventually licence some of the Republic titles from Paramount,or another party.

2. AnthonyP

AnthonyP Stunt Coordinator

This is the link that was posted of the Paramount / Lionsgate titles that were discontinued at the same time as the Republic / Lionsgate ones. I'm only going on what someone mentioned on the Criterion forums so don't know more than that or in what context.
    http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?search=lions&select=Studio&Submit=Search&since=11%2F29%2F2011&genre=All&date=All&status=Discontinued&sort1=title&sort1by=ASC&sort2=year&sort2by=ASC&sort3=genre&sort3by=ASC

3. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    The agreement for the Republic titles from Paramount was signed in the summer of 2005 and should continue for ten years. That being the case the agreement does not come up for review until August 2015.

4. AnthonyP

AnthonyP Stunt Coordinator

Thank you aholiis.
    Any chance you know what was behind the mass discontinuation of the Republic/Paramount titles Lionsgate had released on DVD/BD?

5. moviepas

moviepas Supporting Actor

I have Went the Day Well in Blu Ray. Very good quality.

6. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    It's just a normal way of doing business. Warner went through that two years ago and Paramount four years ago. A title is discontinued usually due to declining sales so they do not manufacture anymore discs. Sometimes it is because they are planning to release an updated version as Warners is with Singing In The Rain and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, but that is not the case with the Lionsgate titles being discontinued. That is a case of poor sales. Also with the their Miramax titles coming out, they wanted to thin out the number of titles they carry so most of the Republic titles went. Lionsgate did acquire all rights to My Bloody Valentine when they remade the film. I do remember Lionsgate graping some titles from Paramount to create double feature DVD's about three years ago. I what I remember they were the titles that Paramount discontinued and Lionsgate was trying to jump on the double feature bandwagon. It was not successful.

7. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Quietly and without fanfare (in other words, right from the Universal playbook) the Lionsgate MOD seems to have launched on Amazon on March 8. BRIGTON ROCK (47) and ENDLESS NIGHT (72) are among titles that are currently available; still waiting on Almodovar's HIGH HEELS and a MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF reissue. It seems as if it's also issued/reissued on MOD THE ANTICHRIST, ZOLTAN: HOUND OF DRACULA, LUST FOR A VAMPIRE, WINTER KILLS, THE DAM BUSTERS, etc. If anyone knows of a better way to find these than poking around Amazon please tell us; Lionsgate won't.

8. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    I'm really begining to wonder just why the hell Lionsgate is even in the film business. They're a film studio, but they don't actually give a f**k about films because they pick up libraries and do nothing with them (the Republic titles). They've done next to nothing with the Artisan library, and they obviously have no interest in doing anything with the Vestron catalog. Now, they announce an intention to begin a MOD program, nothing happens for four months and, all of a sudden, movies start flowing out through Amazon without anybody noticing until now. Tell me, are these the actions of a studio that give a shit about movies? The answer is no. So, what do they really want?

9. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Agreed. This is no way to run a railroad.

10. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    You would at least hope they would take a page or two from the MGM or Sony MOD playbook, even if they could not use the Warner Archive playbook. I wonder if they have an exclusive deal with Amazon like Universal has or had.

11. Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia Supporting Actor

With The Hunger Games now an established blockbuster beyond anyones dreams (I predict this may reach $400 million) and them having a hearty release schedule for 2012 including The Expandables 2 and the bound to be gargantuan grossing last installment of Twilight -I don't think Lionsgate need worry about a MOD line-they didnt take care of their DVD's well , why would they with mod?
    Hopefully I'm wrong -but they have a vast library that hasnt begun to be exploited.
    VCI also has an MOD line . They also have a great library-but I have not seen them except in Kims video (which carries all the MODs except for Twilight Time).

12. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Well, after almost exactly FOUR MONTHS OF WAITING, I finally received my copy of HIGH HEELS and, I hate to say, that it's disappointing.
    I've been a huge fan of the MOD products from Warner Archive, Sony and MGM, wherein we finally get oft-requested movies that might not have huge sales in the long run. The MOD releases have usually been remastered or, at least, were transferred in 16:9. NOT SO WITH THIS RELEASE!
    It appears that, while Lionsgate has the rights from Miramax (and this was originally released on video by Paramount), the only version of the film they have is NOT a 16:9 image. The picture quality appears taken from the VHS release done well over ten years ago. The colors bleed and the the image is letterboxed in a 4:3 format, so there goes AV quality out the window.
    Honestly I was excited for this purchase, since it's one of the last Almodovar movies not available in the US, but this is hardly worth the $19.98 retail price, considering it's lack of quality.

13. Louis Letizia

I'm disappointed by this news but ultimately-not surprised. Lionsgate-even in non MOD mode, disregarded many titles I was waiting for that were not only barebones but full screen and untouched. With Reign of Fire (aka Holocaust 2000/ The Chosen and The Nightcomers were basically vhs transfers. I could have saved money and kept my Lightning and Charter vhs -with better graphics and original (to vhs) titles!
    I fear that this MOD Lionsgate program will not roar as loudly as MGM, won't hold a torch to Columbia Classics , wont be Universally acclaimed and will be DOA compared to WBA .
    A shame.

14. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    I support the idea behind the MOD format. But this situation with Lionsgate, and to an extent MGM, (charging a premium for VHS-level transfers) is what this whole MOD thing is really all about: just a venue for studios to make money selling obscure movies without doing anything to clean them up. Most of the Warner Archive titles I've purchased look great, some even have trailers. Personally, it's no longer just about being able to purchase a back catalog title that otherwise wouldn't have gotten a wide release. Now, if they just throw something out there 'as-is" and expect me to pay $20 for it, they're in for a rude awakening.

15. Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers Second Unit

Wade Sowers
    I purchased Lionsgate's MOD/DVD of BRIGHTON ROCK (1948). Although I have only had time to check the image on a few chapter stops, it does look very nice, probably the same source Studiocanal used for their British Blu-ray (which actually could be purchased from England and delivered to me in Seattle at a lower cost than the domestic MOD - go figure!)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brighton-Rock-Digitally-Remastered-Blu-ray/dp/B004CZ6IBE/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1334180599&sr=1-2
    which is, of course, a bad deal for those over here without a Region Free Blu-ray machine and/or no interest in getting one due to the amount of DVDs/Blus/MODs being purchased in our region by people like me who have to draw the line someplace.

16. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Are you sure NIGHTCOMERS was a vhs transfer???? I thought it was 16x9, and even had extras. As for THE CHOSEN/HOLOCAUST 2000, wasnt that 16x9 too, only problem is they used the UK cut, which left off the "explosive" ending

17. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I recall the problem with RAIN OF FIRE [HOLOCAUST 2000/THE CHOSEN] was that the film was 2.35, and MGM had even prepared a 2.35 master when they controlled it through the Orion library, but that StudioCanal inadvertently gave Lionsgate a 1.85 master originally created for overseas HD broadcasts. So the aspect ratio was wrong on the DVD, but since it was such a small-selling niche title, it was unlikely to be fixed or reissued by either Canal+ or Lionsgate.

18. Louis Letizia

How did MGM not get The Chosen through its Orion deal? I've always liked the American International U.S. title best -it made it closer to The Omen conotation. In fact -this could have been The Final Conflict.

19. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    More than likely it came with the number of films that Lionsgate acquired from the Embassy Pictures. That library was split between MGM and Lionsgate and I get confused which films went where until they are released. I know there is a reason, but have forgotten that part. While AIP released the title, it was for theatrical distribution only in the US and Orion did not get their hands on it. One of the original producers was Embassy Pictures to who's ownership it returned at the end of the AIP agreement. Vestron released a VHS version in the very early 90's and Lionsgate released a VHS in 2002. If it did not get to Lionsgate from Embassy, then it most assuredly got to them through Vestron. Not sure how Vestron got a hold of it.

Not a a final answer, but at least some groundwork.

20. Louis Letizia

Thanks. It clarifies it a little. I always thought this would be an MGM Arelease