Lions Gate Press Release: BORN INTO BROTHELS

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Lions Gate Entertainment is proud to announce the DVD release of the Academy Award © winning documentary, BORN INTO BROTHELS.

BORN INTO BROTHELS is an inspiring look at the transformative journey of a group of extraordinary children in Calcutta’s red light district. A tribute to the resiliency of childhood and the restorative power of art, BON INTO BROTHELS is a portrait of several unforgettable children who live in the red light district of Calcutta where their mothers work as prostitutes. Zana Briski, a New York based photographer, gives each of these youngsters a camera and teaches them how to take picture, simultaneously causing the, to look at their world with new eyes. Together with Ross Kauffman, Briski captures the magical way in which beauty can be found in the most unlikely of places and how a bright and promising future becomes a possibility for children who previously had no future at all.

Touching and heartfelt, yet devoid of sentimentality, BORN INTO BROTHELS, defies the tear-stained tourist snapshot of the global underbelly. Briski spent years with these children and became a part of their lives. Their photographs are prisms into their souls, rather than anthropological curiosities, and a true testimony to the power of the indeliable creative spirit.

BORN INTO BROTHELS on DVD is being release on September 20th.

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I've been wanting to see this for some time. I'll be checking this one out for sure.

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I saw this in the theater and it was powerful and moving. I really felt like I saw the world a bit differently after experiencing this film. Zana Briski is an astonishing human being and takes some serious risks by taking on this enterprise.

Technical comments: It was shot largely on 4x3 video. The print I saw in the theater was 4x3 and appeared to be a film print derived from a video source. Chances are that the DVD will look "better" and more like the source than the theatrical print.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I was wondering how this was displayed in theaters... glad to hear that it was 4x3, because the original trailer makes it look 2.35x1, which seemed unlikely.

The supplements on the DVD are impressive:
    [*]Directors' Commentary with Ross Kauffman and Zana Briski[*]Theatrical Trailer (2:27)[*]"Reconnecting" - An Update on the Kids 3 Years Later (9:10)[*]Special Video Commentary by the Kids Watching Selected Scenes of the Film (36:19)[*]Deleted Scenes (12:47)[*]Production Stills - 19[*]About Kids with Cameras - single page asking for contributions at www.kids-with-cameras.org[*]Academy Awards Acceptance Speech (2:48)[*]Interview Segment with Charlie Rose (6:07)[*]Trailer Gallery (Mondovino, Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine, Overnight) in addition to trailers starting the DVD itself (Murderball, The Aristrocats)

I'll try to watch the DVD and review it tonight! (Yes, the above is a preview of the "Extras" section.)

- Steve

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Looking forward to your review!

dave [​IMG]

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Wow, wow, wow. What an amazing film. The subject matter is sometimes difficult, but the story is truly inspiring. Video and sound are just fine, supplements (as mentioned above) are outstanding. I'll have a review up later today.

The best supplement is that 36-minute segment of the kids watching the finished movie. We see camcorder footage of their reactions side-by-side with the film. It is even more emotional when you see their reactions to their own stories. But there are also lots of giggles and laughter--kids being kids.

I can see why Born into Brothels won the Oscar this year.

- Steve

7. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I just want to say that I caught this film on HD Net last night and found it to be incredibly moving and something that I want to see again to show my wife. I'm not articulate enough to convey how this made me feel, but no documentary has ever moved me like this before.

Hopefully me finding this thread can get a couple more people to watch it.