Lion King R3 DTS any reviews?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by lakshmant, Mar 14, 2004.

1. lakshmant

lakshmant Agent

are there any reviews for this disc as it is NTSC with the Disney Enhanced Mix in DTS and i would like to pick it up asap

2. CharlieC

CharlieC Stunt Coordinator

I saw the comparison somewhere but too bad that it is not in English...

However, the result is that the dts track on R3 is not as good as the R1 DD track (people contributed this to the lack of THX certification on R3 ). Therefore, I went ahead and picked up R2 UK edition, which has dts and THX...

An added bonus for R2 UK version is that even the video is better than R1!!!

If you want the best video and audio possible, go for R2 UK or R4 Australia versions.

3. Kris Deering

Kris Deering Stunt Coordinator

Kris Deering
    That isn't true. I have the R3 release and it is THX certified just the same. The DTS track sounds excellent, but I would say it is basically the same as the DD track on the R1, but the R1 transfer is a bit better. There is noticeable compression in some scenes on the R3 that isn't there on the R1 release.

I say just stick with the R1 release.

4. CharlieC

Well, which R3 release do you have? Apparently you have the R3 Korean release. The one that was being compared on the other forum is R3 Taiwanese version, which is not THX certified.

Unlike R1, there are many versions of R3 releases out there, how can you say that what I said isn't true?

But you are right. The person who did the R1 vs. R2 comparison ( he already concluded that R1 is better than R3) said that R2(PAL) is better than R1, which is better than R3 Taiwanese version.

Here are some screen caps for R1 and R2 (Pal):

R1
    [​IMG]

R2
    [​IMG]

R1
    [​IMG]

R2
    [​IMG]

R1
    [​IMG]

R2
    [​IMG]

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Wow.

Looks like I'll be getting a region free player and picking up the R2 version!

6. Kris Deering

Kris Deering
    The R3 version I have is indeed the Korean version. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

7. CharlieC

Don't do it just yet.

Unless you have the video equipment that displays PAL signal(I believe most projectors do), and a dvd player that outputs Pal signal (Philip DVD 727 is capable of outputting NTSC or Pal signal when playing Pal discs. This is the reaosn I decided to keep it, though Toshiba SD-4900 also has the region free mod, but does not output Pal signal), you won't get to see the benefits of the extra scan lines made possible by Pal.

Unless the region free player can outputs Pal signal, it will convert the resolution of Pal to NTSC, which is what most region free players do. You probably will get something not even as good as NTSC due to the conversion.

8. phil hinton

phil hinton Agent

Review of the R2 DVD here

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'm pretty sure my projector will sync to 50Hz PAL. But regardless I would definitely get a player that can convert on-the-fly from PAL->NTSC and from NTSC->PAL. I've been looking at the Malata player (which also has great aspect-ratio scaling as well) but I'm hoping that something will come out with DVI output...imagine a Bravo DVD player that's region free and converts formats!

-dave [​IMG]

10. Kris Deering

Kris Deering
    Your PJ will do PAL fine David, and I would stay with native PAL. What player are you using now?

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Kris,

right now I'm using a Panny RP91 that does an oustanding job with 480P and also has scaling to convert 4x3 lbxed material to 16x9 (does a much nicer job than the "zoom" algorithms in most displays...including my BenQ PJ).

The next step will be a DVI player with 720 and 1080 scaling. I'm waiting for the Bravo D2 to see how it turns out. It would be SO NICE to get a region free capability on such a player.

-dave

12. Kris Deering

Kris Deering
    I would keep the 91, get it region free modded and use the Faroudja scaler in the PJ. The analog section of the 91 is excellent so you won't take much of a hit on it compared to the Bravo's DVI.

You can look into getting the player region free here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=rp91

Seems you need a disc from Australia to do it, but it is a simple firmware issue with no hardware requirements.