Lion King 1.5 DTS 2/10/04

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric F, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Lion King 1.5 @ DVDSoon

Appears to be true. Ouch to all those who purchased it already and wanted DTS. Did Disney give any advance notice of this?

2. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

This is NOT "The Lion King"; i.e. the movie that many of us like and that recently came out on DVD. This movie is supposed to focus on Timon and Pumbaa, I think. There's a trailer for it on the just released DVD of "The Lion King."

3. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

You're right. I missed the description. Still, it's odd this would be DTS and the original not.

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

There isn't as much to compete for disc space on 1.5, so there's room for DTS.

5. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Actually, that is not an accurate statement. Who knows why DTS wasn't included on the R1 dvd. It still was included on dvds that are out of the US. And as far as I can tell, all regions that have the Lion King in DTS have the same specs as we do here in the US. I was thinking about purchasing it from London or Australia. This 'Not enough space' issue is becoming tiresome. Especially when a 3-hour movie has DTS on one disc, and the picture quality is very good. "Meet Joe Black" Ultimate Edition for example. Another movie that comes to mind is "The Thin Red Line" maybe not 3 hours long, but close enough, and the DTS is FULL Bitrate!!

RF

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Yeah, I have a tough time believing they couldn't fit DTS and 3 DD tracks on a 90-minute movie. I mean, it's not like Disc 1 (or Disc 2, for that matter) were overflowing with extras. They had plenty room for additional hours of content, and certainly a DTS track in R1. Then again, I have no idea how much the "Disney-EHT" track took up. Still don't think it was a "couldn't fit" issue.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i still can't find an exact description of what this movie is.
    is it lion king with added scenes concentrating on other characters or what?

8. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The fact that Disney chose to use DTS encoding for their Enhanced IMAX/home theater mix (yes, this was the mix designed for the IMAX presentation, not home theater originally!) in most every other region except the U.S. is another slap in the face for those buying supposedly super-deluxe Platinum releases. Their 2 disc sets are better in some respects than their so-called premium discs!

I'm hoping at some point I'll be able to track down a DTS edition from some other region with great picture quality in the NTSC format (I hate PAL speedup) and the DTS Enhanced track.

Dan

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

11. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine Stunt Coordinator

12. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Since there wasn't enough space to include two enhanced mixes (a 5.1 DD and a 5.1 DTS) perhaps a political decision was made to stick with DD (the other-region Lion King discs offering DTS are not offering an "enhanced" DD mix). Or perhaps the mix creators felt that DTS didn't offer an audible advantage in this case and decided that that slight increase in bit-space for video would make a better use of disc space.

Whatever the case, it is a dissapointment for me as well. I plan to get an NTSC DTS disc from another region to compare when I get a chance.

If I'm told any information about this issue (the lack of DTS on the R1 Lion King SE) that I'm able to share on the forum I'll post it here.

13. ChrisP

ChrisP Agent

This looks like it could be really good. If you figure that Lion King is based (loosely) on Hamlet, this sounds like disney's answer to "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead"

I'm looking forward to it.

14. Michael St. Clair

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Replacing the DD enhanced mix with DTS and getting rid of one of the supplimental 5.1 language tracks would get you to about the same place bit-wise.

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

17. Michael St. Clair