Lion King 1½ (1.5), SE of Lion King 2, and Finding Nemo DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Lambert, May 9, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Video Store Magazine and Video Business both have articles up today discussing the early 2004 release of The Lion King 1½ (or "1.5" if you like). VSM best describes it:

2. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

3. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

5,500 screens? wow that is a lot!

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Finding Nemo is the first Pixar film to be released during the summer. It's been in the works for a looooooong time, about 3 years plus. According to one animation site, there will be lots of stuff for the DVD. However, it's the film that is important don't you think?

Buzz (not Lightyear) is very good on it. Pixar made many changes during the last six months. One thing to look for will be a "preview" of the next Pixar film, "The Incredibles" with a character from the film popping up in Nemo.
    The new trailer is beautiful by the way.

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    LK2:SE ... Wow, now we're to the point of having Special Edition re-releases of direct-to-video animated sequels. The mind boggles.

I can't wait for the inevitable "Hunchback of Notre Dame II: Special Edition." I think the current DVD lacks an audio commentary. [​IMG]

I think I'd prefer barebones DVD releases of Bambi, Cinderella, Aladdin, etc., while we wait for the Platinum versions.

6. David Lambert

Correct, Joel. They did at that!

7. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

All this new information leaves only one question in my mind: WHY?

LK2 wasn't that good as far as I remember, and it certainly isn't confusing enough to require a "mid"-quel.

8. David Lambert

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

10. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

I think they mean there will be 5,500 prints available (i.e. they are actually using screens in it's real context, rather than meaning number of cinemas). In this case, it isn't all that much - Harry Potter had something like 8,000 prints in the US on release, and The Matrix Reloaded will have something similar...

11. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

12. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Saw "Nemo" a few days ago. Just a tremendously entertaining film. Amazing animation. I'm seeing it again - and maybe just sitting through a couple of showings - when it comes out 5/30. Good sound, too (Gary Rydstrom sound mix)

13. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Personally, I really wonder why Disney even bothers with direct to video sequels.......correct that- it's about profit as David has already mentioned. I find all these sequels so very pathetic and uninspired...Walt Disney himself is probably spinning in his grave considering what Eisner is doing with his company. When I think of Disney animated films, I think of them this way - The original will be great, but the sequels will be always be low quality crap...and I avoid them without question. You listening Disney?[​IMG]

Now if Disney wants to do a sequel right, they should take a lesson from PIXAR (Toy Story 2). Now there's a company that cares about its product. Can't wait to see 'Finding Nemo' as well.

14. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

15. David Lambert

Disney really doesn't care if the films make sense to adults, or if the sequels/prequels/midquels make sense to us in the context of the big storyline of these characters.

They are trying to please the kiddies. And they count on the kiddies to beg, plead, cajole, and demand of their parents that these things get bought.

And it works very well!

Further, I will go on to say that BatB: Christmas works well enough (so what if they didn't mention the holiday season in the original storyline...think of it as "edited for time", and here's a missing chapter that makes its own semi-interesting story). LK2 is pretty decent (my big problem with it is that Simba seemed to have forgotten some of the lessons of the first movie...but then, we all forget our life lessons from time to time, don't we?). Return to Neverland was another decent one. At first I was uncomfortable with the war stuff in "our world", but as the story unfolded it all made more sense. I just wasn't sure I was ready to explain "war" to my son yet. But he really didn't bother with it once Peter Pan appeared on the screen regularly (and of course since then the whole Iraq conflict appearing on the news has become a different way of having to deal with that issue with my son...but that's another topic).

While I agree that the graphics on these three are below the level used for the films they spun off from, they are hardly not-film-worthy and definately above the class of animation used for TV fare (Tarzan & Jane, for example).

Even when you have a clearly inferior spin-off product on your hands, you will fork over $15-$20 sometimes to make the child happy. Disney counts on this. It is too bad that they must look like they are being so mercenary about it, but after all, a business is in business to make money. That means make it cheap, and sell it for as much as you can. Sorry.

Indications are that they will take at least as much care with LK 1.5 as they did with LK2, perhaps more. And Timon & Pumbaa remain highly popular with the kids, my own son included. So this will probably sell pretty well. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

17. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

18. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

19. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer