What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Nominated for six Academy Awards including Best Picture, Lion tells the moving and compelling story of a young boy who becomes lost in India, adopted by Australian parents, and as a grown man seeks to find his birth mother and family.

Lion (2016)

Released: 06 Jan 2017
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 118 min

Director: Garth Davis
Genre: Biography, Drama

Cast: Sunny Pawar, Abhishek Bharate, Priyanka Bose, Khushi Solanki
Writer(s): Saroo Brierley (adapted from the book "A Long Way Home" by), Luke Davies (screenplay)

Plot: A five-year-old Indian boy gets lost on the streets of Calcutta, thousands of kilometers from home. He survives many challenges before being adopted by a couple in Australia; 25 years later, he sets out to find his lost family.

IMDB rating: 8.1
MetaScore: 69...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It is not the directors cut of the film. It is the theatrical version.

Also, Not everyone who has seen it has raved. There are many on this forum that didn't think it deserved a BP nomination.

I liked it a lot.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It is not the directors cut of the film. It is the theatrical version.

Also, Not everyone who has seen it has raved. There are many on this forum that didn't think it deserved a BP nomination.

I liked it a lot.

I liked the first half with "young Saroo" but thought the film lost a lot of steam in the second half...

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yup. First half was very powerful. Second half not so much....except for the ending.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I liked the movie but the ending is where I felt the most emotion and thought it worked the best.

Yeah, when adult Saroo's quest pays off, that part works, but it's still a slow ride to get there.

As the filmmakers acknowledge, the adult Saroo section is essentially a story about a guy who used Google Earth. The second half of the movie is more interesting than just watching Saroo scan a screen for an hour - but not by much! :D

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I loved this and thought the opening segment was sensational. I watched it in a test screening and haven't seen it since. I'll have to see it it changed from that screening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rémi
Recent bookmarks