What's new

Linux question (1 Viewer)

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
OK, I am makeing the plunge into Linux. I am going to try to learn the server admin side of things on it. But, here is my problem. I am trying to install Samba from the source file. I am in root mode, and I type ./configure in the control window. Well, it runs for about 5 sec, and gives me the messege:

No acceptable cc found in $PATH

ok, now keep in mind that I have used WinTel ever since 3.0 came out, and DOS before that. I have no idea what that is talking about. Can one of you gurus(sp?) help a newbe out? Thanks a lot.

Glenn L

Stunt Coordinator
It's looking for the C language compiler. Depending on what distribution you're using, it's usually installed when you request a 'development environment' of some sort.

Look for a package on your CD (or wherever you got your distribution) named gcc-* (stands for GNU C Compiler). That's what you need to install.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Glenn, Thanks. I'll look for that. I just put it on a new PC. I am running Red Hat 7.2, with all of the updates. That is the one thing I didn't put on there. oooops. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks