1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Linux question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Blair, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

OK, I am makeing the plunge into Linux. I am going to try to learn the server admin side of things on it. But, here is my problem. I am trying to install Samba from the source file. I am in root mode, and I type ./configure in the control window. Well, it runs for about 5 sec, and gives me the messege:

No acceptable cc found in $PATH

ok, now keep in mind that I have used WinTel ever since 3.0 came out, and DOS before that. I have no idea what that is talking about. Can one of you gurus(sp?) help a newbe out? Thanks a lot.

2. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

It's looking for the C language compiler. Depending on what distribution you're using, it's usually installed when you request a 'development environment' of some sort.

Look for a package on your CD (or wherever you got your distribution) named gcc-* (stands for GNU C Compiler). That's what you need to install.

3. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Glenn, Thanks. I'll look for that. I just put it on a new PC. I am running Red Hat 7.2, with all of the updates. That is the one thing I didn't put on there. oooops. :b