What's new

Linux Installation Help (1 Viewer)

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I'm finally fed up with Microsoft and decided to learn a whole new world. I've made the decision to immerse myself into Linux and absorb everything I can. Besides scouring the Red Hat website, I've sought out other extremely informative Linux sites to memorize and digest as much as possible. I even went to my local library and they had some up-to-date Red Hat books (ver. 7.1, not too bad). This is not something I'm trying and giving it up in a week. So any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I'm using Red Hat Linux 7.3 but I'm having an issue. Let me set the table for you guys. I'm installing Linux on an old Compaq Deskpro 4000n that I had laying around. It's a P233, 48MB RAM, 2 NIC's, 36x CD-ROM, FDD, 4GB HDD. I downloaded the entire Red Hat Linux directory from a buddy's FTP site (5.81GB). I read the entire installation process directly from Red Hat's website. I burned the 3 ISO images as prescribed. Since this old Deskpro wouldn't allow me to boot from the CD, I created a boot floppy as prescribed. With me so far?
I booted up my box with the boot floppy and the ISO Image 1 CD. I was guided through the beginning of the installation process. It welcomed me to Red Hat Linux 7.3. It asked me what language, what keyboard, and what media the install packets were located. I had the option of Local CD-ROM or HDD. I selected Local CD-ROM (again I had ISO Image Disc 1 in).
This is the error I encountered:
"The Red Hat Linux CD was not found in any of your cd-rom drives. Please insert the Red Hat Linux CD and hit Ok to retry."
So can you tell where I went wrong or have any ideas on how to proceed? Is there another CD I should've burned with the remaining info in the Red Hat directory that I missed? What did I miss?
I really want to install, learn, and become proficient with Linux. Any and all help would be immensely helpful. Thanks in advance.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
What did you download? The .iso images, or the contents of the RedHat directory (a bunch of .rpm files)? You need the .iso files.

If you have the .iso files, there is the possibility that your CDROM drive isn't being found by the kernel. It's slim, but it could happen. Try downloading one of the driver boot floppies.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'd recommend Mandrake over Red Hat for someone trying Linux for the first time. Red Hat tends to focus more on the server side of Linux, while Mandrake is more of the desktop version. You can get Mandrake's latest .iso's on their website.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
As I mentioned above, I downloaded the entire 5.81GB Red Hat 7.3 directory of a friendly FTP site. I know about the ISO images and thus that's why I had ISO #1 in the CD-ROM along with the boot floppy I created. So, I downloaded the entire directory but only burned the 3 ISO images onto CD. Does that make sense?
I'd recommend Mandrake over Red Hat for someone trying Linux for the first time. Red Hat tends to focus more on the server side of Linux, while Mandrake is more of the desktop version. You can get Mandrake's latest .iso's on their website.
Thanks for the input. I specifically wanted to focus on Red Hat just for that particular reason: the server side. But after I become comfortable with Red Hat, I surely want to try other Linux flavors, with Mandrake at the top of the list.
Thanks to both you guys, Don & Todd, for your help and suggestions. If you'd like to e-mail me directly, please feel free to do so: [email protected]
I'm also on ICQ (61719049). Anything I can learn from either of you is greatly appreciated.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I wouldn't worry about downloading the directory. If you downloaded all the .iso's from Red Hat, you should be fine. They'll contain all the necessary files and RPM's you need. As for a boot floppy, you'll need a boot floppy image, which can be found Link Removed. After you download the image, you need to transfer it to a floppy. Those instructions are here. After that is done, just put the boot floppy in the drive, insert CD1 into your CD drive and you should be all set.
Also, check to make sure you burned the .iso's to CD correctly. .Iso's aren't burned to CD the same way other data is. Check your burning software's docs to make sure you are doing this correctly.
Hope this helps. If not let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks