Linux install help. Multiple distributions failing.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Hey all, I dont know if there is a big Linux community here, but maybe at least someone can point me in the right direction.

I have recetly inherited a 500MHz PC which I want to install Linux on to play around with, learn bash commands, and some scripting. I have downloaded Mandrake 9.0 and whatever the newest version of Redhat is. Both were downloaded from FTP sites and the checksums check out on both sets of files (ISOs). When I try to install Mandrake, it errors out on the first package, but gives me the option to continue. I hit continue once and it errored out on the second package too, so I gave up. If I'm installing Redhat, I get much further, in fact it says I need to install around 500 packages, and it doesnt crash until I get 255 installed. The next package according to the installer, is the Linux kernel, and it hangs up on this package and will just sit there no matter how long I let it. Its a 33mb file according to the installer, and other packages of that size take less than 30 seconds to copy, yet I have let this go for 30 minutes and it never moves. I am downloading Caldera OpenLinux to try out when I get home, but I would rather use the other distros, in fact, my choices would be RH first, then Mandrake, then whatever I can get to work. I dont think the computer has any strange hardware, although there is a modem in it that the Mandrake installation keeps mentioning that I'll need third party drivers for. I suppose I could take that out (dont need a modem, this will be networked into a cable modem) but I think it would install anyway and that hardware just wouldnt work. I have got Redhat and Mandrake working on other PCs before, so I have some idea what I'm doing, but Im no Linux expert. Any ideas?

2. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

What is the text of the error you are getting?

If it's just locking up during install, I'd suspect the memory, CPU fan, and the drive cables, in that order.

3. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    I'll have to double check the text tonight. If it were just one distribution that woulnt install, I might suspect the disks. However its two distros, failing at two different times. Mandrake fails on the first package (this is the one that I get an error message on that I will have to check tonight) and Redhat fails on the same file every time (the Linux Kernel) but I find it hard to beleive a hardware failure like you suggest would let it go so far and then fail at the same place. I would be more likely to suspect a hardware incompatability rather than an actualy physical problem. Also, this PC was running windows 98 just fine when I got it.

I can swap out the drive cable and do some more testing. I might try removing any extra hardware except that I dont absolutely need in order to install (ie video card, CD-rom and HDD) and see what happens. I'm getting pretty frustrated as I spent about 6 hours on this yesterday. My experience is not making a very good case for Linux supporters. BTW, I have a degree in MIS and my "specialty" is workstation hardware/software, but I admit I come from a windows world.

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

5. Kanwar Sandhu

The installs shouldn't just be failing on you. Even if you have strange hardware, it is unlikely to cause the install of Red Hat and Mandrake Linux to fail - that is plain weird.

I have installed Red Hat Linux countless times on my laptop (in fact, I'm using RH 8.0 to make this post!), and recently installed it on a brand new Dell 4500 desktop. The installs have never failed during the actual install process.

You may just have a bad CD-ROM drive (I'm assuming you burned the ISOs to cds). Try installing from the HD (well, Red Hat let's you do that, but I'm not sure about Mandrake).

I hope that helps!

6. Try Slackware. I have never had it fail to install on any system I have installed it on. It is a bit harder to install and use but I think it is well worth it.

7. Charles J P

CJ Paul