What's new

Linux and MP3 (1 Viewer)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Lately I've found myself using Linux a lot more than Windows. EAC & Lame has been my choice ripper/encoder combo for Windows. I believe there is a version of Lame for Linux, but not EAC. So, can any Linux users recommend a good ripper? Thanks.

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator
Same here, since setting up with Linux, it's my OS of choice for most things. I use EAC LAME in WinXP, the linux side has Grip. It came installed with Mandrake 9.1.
Grip is the one you want, only problem for me is, I haven't fiqured out how to use Lame with it. Now at the time, I wanted to rip one of my CD's while I was having a few :) I couldn't fiqure it out at that time. I broke down, rebooted to WinXP, ripped cd and went right back to linux to listen to it.
I have this nice Bookmark for linux apps. Grip is at the top of the list for Ripping Mp3s.

If you have better luck with Grip, can you post your settings please. I messed with everything that one night, and I'm sure I've gotta fix some settings I shouldn't have mucked with :)

Also, while there is a LAME setting/menu under Grip, I'm still not sure if you have to download/install Lame for it to work.

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator
update: did some looking around. Yes, you need to download an RPM of Lame to use with Grip. It's default and built in encoder is ogg. Find a RPM for your distro, and Grip is your mp3 encoder for linux

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Alternatively, you could use a shell based ripper called abcde. I've been using that on my gentoo box and a combination of lame. It's quite easy to use, once configured. (Although it's a bit of a bugger to configure, through text based options for ripping, encoding and naming files.)

Needs some other software to work too.

http://lly.org/~rcw/abcde/page/

Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks