Linn one-ups Mark Levinson by partnering with Aston Martin

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry B, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

"Aston Martin and Linn Products have announced that they will work together in a new partnership that will result in a unique audio system being offered on the V12 Vanquish."
    See the following site for all the details:
    http://www.linn.co.uk/aston_martin/l...ton_martin.cfm
    Larry

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I am sure the mechanic will enjoy listening to the Linn stereo.

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I'm suprised Ford would spring for such a fancy stereo. I would have figured they would have just put a standard Ford radio in there with a fancy faceplate.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Who needs to listen to music when you can listen to the growl of a V12 [​IMG]

5. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I heard about the Linn/Aston partnership. It's nice to know $250,000 buys you a nice factory stereo in your Aston Martin! I still find it funny that Harman would put a Harman/Kardon in a BMW, Jaguar, and Rover, yet a Mark Levinson (by name at least) in a Lexus, as the latter is a far inferior automobile.

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

justin, I don't get that either, I would suspect that all of the brands have a certain amount of autonomy, and run seperatly, but a H/K in a 7 series and a ML in a lexus seems backwards to me.

7. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Lexus makes good cars. They're just so........boring!

Does ML have a stereo in any Lexus other than the SC430?

8. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Lexus also used to be with Nakamichi.

And Subaru use McIntosh.

Anyone else?

T.

9. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

10. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Lexus uses ML because ML is a subsidiary of Harman. the ML unit is probably 90% Infinity/JBL and 100% R&D in Harman's Accoustic Research facility.

Why would Aston Martin use Linn? Do they have car audio experience? Where is Meridian? Linn is low-fi compared to them.

11. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

ling_w:

12. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Linn is one of those British brands that when the make it to here, they doubled in price. Look at Arcam, back in England, Arcam, Naim and others like it are compared to Kenwood Integrated. And over here, we compare them to Krells.

I presume this Aston/Linn unit will have the CD unit in a tomb. That whole emphasize source component thing they invented.

13. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Linn makes a $20,000 CD player, an $18,000 pair of monoblock amplifiers, and a $40,000 pair of speakers. I would hardly call that "low-fi."

Lexus offers the Mark Levinson system in the LS430, the SC430, and the Camry...er...ES300.

The only thing Mark Levinson makes is the amplifier chassis. Everything else (amps, drivers, head unit, etc.) is made by Harman/Kardon or JBL or Infinity in China. Still, it is the best non-aftermarket car audio system I've heard.

Regarding the McIntosh and Subaru partnership, the only thing McIntosh makes is the actual head unit. Clarion makes the amps, drivers, etc. It's a $4000 option, and most of that is for the head unit.

14. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Mark Levinson should have at least made the faceplate. Looks like an Aiwa. Where is the 1" thick faceplate? The solid aluminum remote velcro'd to the steering wheel? Why does it have bass/treble?

15. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

FYI:
    Lexicon has done the stereo systems in BMW's new 7-series. Logic 7 and all. Check out lexicon's website (www.lexicon.com) and click on the BMW story. (sorry, don't know how to do the hyper link yet.)
    Supposedly ML also did the research/specs for speakers and placement on the Lexus. We've got one traded in here and it is the best sounding stock system I've heard.
    MM
    p.s-wow! the forum automatically does the link when you type in the address. cool, learn something new everyday. (yeah,yeah, I'm a newbie.)
    MM

16. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Michael:

17. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

Larry (w/ a space)B,
    No, I do not know how to do the quotation thing, nor do I know how to transfer text from another website to my post. Would like to know though, if you don't mind.
    If we don't get yelled at by a mod for posting off topic here, go ahead and post here,or if it's better decorum, email me: [email protected]
    Thanks!
    MM

18. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Michael:
    I think we're safe doing it here [​IMG]
    To quote some one, first copy their post as you would in any word processing system, then paste it into your post. To make it appear as a quote, precede it with an open bracket "[" (don't use the quotes), then the word "quote" (don't use the quotes), then a closed bracket "]" (again, no quotes). At the end of the post to be quoted, do the same thing except that right before the word "quote," put a slash /.
    If you put in any spaces it won't work. I'll exploit that to show you what it should look like:
    [ quote ]the post of interest.... [ / quote]
    Give it a try to see if it works.
    Larry
    Edit: Use the same technique to quote text from an outside source.