What's new

Linksys Wireless Option for Xbox (1 Viewer)

Jeff P

Agent
Product Link
Anybody tried this yet?? I need an alternative than running cable across the floor with a two year old running about....
Thoughts??

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a Netgear wireless router (model number 814 or something like that). I am assuming the Linksys WET11 will work with it? I am going to go pick one up tonight. Unfortunately, my DSL is not up for some reason so I can't even test it out.

So if I have one Xbox hooked up to my router via cat5 cable, and one Xbox upstairs hooked up to the WET11, can I still play system link games b/w the two?

And is the WET11 the only option for hooking up an Xbox to a wireless network? It seems to be the most popular, but are there any other options, like using a bridge or something?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
A number of us here are using this exact same setup for XBox Live with great results. You can do the same thing with most any wireless router and wireless bridge but make sure that the router is supported by XBox Live before purchasing. The Linksys setup was very easy and worked perfectly the first time for me.

Jeff P

Agent
WONDERFUL!!!! I have a Netgear Wireless 314 router which has worked great with all the computer's we have. Something to add to the Xmas list!!

Thanks!!

Leo

Second Unit
I'm using to Linksys WAP11 (originally had it for my laptop), but then bridged my consoles in with a 2nd Linksys WAP11 and a 5 port hub. Now I have my PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and Dreamcast connected wirelessly. Very easy to setup and use.

Jeff P

Agent
Thanks Joel, the work around was fairly simple and I have it working via the hardwire option currently. Hopefully, the wireless portion (which I am using while typing this) won't be too much more work....

Ryan McLane

Auditioning
I'm considering going wireless. My situation is I'll have to run a 40-50ft cable through the house, does anyone know if this will have an impact on gameplay?

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I just set mine up yesterday. I have a Netgear MR314 and the WET 11. It was not really a problem. Just make sure you follow the instructions at the link above and no problems.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Ok, I live in an apt with 4 other guys. We already have a router and my LAN cable goes into my room. With this Wireless router would I be able to plug that LAN cable into the wireless router and use both my computer and XBox live, or am I misunderstandig?
JQ

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Jason - the WET11 (a wireless ethernet adapter) can be configured to either directly connect to a single device's ethernet cable and provide a connection to that system or to connect to a router and provide a signal to all other devices on the router. It does, however, require a wireless router to (wirelessly) communicate with.

As others have pointed out, this thing is a breeze to configure and I've been xbox live-ing for the last couple of days.

-greg

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
So to use the wireless router I'd have to buy the WET11 and configure it, right?
Could I plug the XBox Live into the 4th (unused) port on our current router and just have it work that way (setup like any other Internet using computer)?
Sorry for all the questions - I got XBox Live for XMas and havent been back to the Apt. to set it up, so I'm just wondering if I can get away with just buying a new Lan cord for it (saves $$ for this poor college student) or if I should also buy this wireless WET II and Router at the same time. Thanks.
JQ

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Can one of you post your download speeds?

Going direct, I was getting 6550KB. I just installed the Wet-11 and am getting a measly 600Kb! For those who don't know, go to your settings in Xbox live, run connect and when it's done, hit "Y" to see the speeds.

Please let me know what you find out. Also, what firmware are you running on the WET-11 and the BEFW11SR Ver.2 Router.

Thanks!

Chris

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Jason - if you can directly connect via an ethernet port on a router, there's absolutely no reason to go wireless. The only reason I'm using a wireless connection is that the cable modem and router are upstairs in my office and the Xbox is downstairs in the living room.

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks