Linksys wireless & FTPing... HELP!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tony Whalen, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Hi all!

Okay... I have a Linksys BEFW11S4, which is a broadband hub with both 802.11b and a 4 port 10/100 switch.

My main computer is hardwired to the router. My laptop has a wireless Linksys card (WEP11?).

I have no problems with email or web access. Both machines work flawlessly.

However, I cannot get into my FTP sites at my ISP. (Shaw cable in western Canada) I think I've set the port triggering correctly... but I'm having no luck whatsoever. Shaw won't provide support, as I'm running a network. *SIGH* I *can* access my FTP accounts from a friend's place (he's on the same ISP), so it isn't the accounts...

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

If you're simply trying to log into an ftp site that you personally are not hosting on one of the machines on your network, you don't need to have any sort of port forwarding set up on your router. You may want to check the configuration of your ftp client, make sure it matches your friend's place where it does work.

Incidentally, 'hardwired' implies inseperability. 'Plugged in' would be better. I got an image of the router soldered on to your motherboard somehow...

3. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

What FTP program are you trying to use?

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I've tried WINFTP and CUTE.

I'm trying to login to MY OWN accounts at my ISP. Both clients worked fine prior to the creation of the network. (In other words, everything worked properly when the desktop computer was a stand-alone machine with a cable hookup.)

Like I said, my accounts work fine. I've logged onto them from a friend's place, who uses the same ISP. (Shaw Cable) (I think that you can't login to Shaw's servers unless you are ON their service...which I am...)

5. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Are you running any type Software firewall that would be blocking outgoing access from you network?

Check FTP Settings as James said.

Are you using your laptop from your friends place or the friends computer? Is his network the same/simmilar as yours(linksys router ect)?

Might want to reset your router and/or upgrade the firmware. Straight out of the box FTP traffic should pass through the router(going out of your network) to your isp.

Last resort plug your modem directly to your pc and see if it works. If it does try another router (your firends?). The router could be flawed.

I use SmartFTP

Good luck

6. Mark Penname

Mark Penname Extra

This is what I had to do to get my abyss server running with my linksys system. It should work to get the linksys network set up. I copied this from the abyss forum.

1. Open the Abyss console and click Server Configuration, and look and see what port you are using. The default is usually 80.

2. Open your browser and type http://192.168.1.1 (or click that < link ) in to the address bar and hit enter.

3. Type in your login information. If you do not know it type admin for the user and admin for the password. I suggest you change the password if it is admin .

4. Click Advanced. Then Click Forwarding.

5. Under Ext.Port there are two (2) text boxes type in your port in both boxes.

6. Check Protocol TCP and Protocol UDP check boxes.

7. Under IP Address, type in the last digit(s) after xxx.xxx.xxx.
    a. To find the IP Address go to Start > Run > Type cmd

8. Click the Enabled check box.

9. Click the Apply button.

10. Open a new browser window and type in http://IP ADDRESS (Change IP ADDRESS to your REAL IP Address)

11. If it works, have someone outside your LAN check it.

12. If it does not work you either did something wrong or your ISP blocked the port you are trying to use. Try something like 8080. Change the settings in abyss and the router. Then in the browser type http://IP ADDRESS[​IMG]ORT

That should get you started. If you need more help ask. Also if I left something out, or said it wrong (whatever) tell me and I'll add / change it I just figured it out, so hoppfully this will help someone

7. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Mark- he's trying to get into a remote ftp server, not host one of his own.

Try logging in using passive mode if you're using active. If you have to use active you will have to forward a port actually, though I'm not sure if it would be ctrl (20) or a random one of some kind.

8. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

No forwarding should be required if all you are doing is running FTP to hook up to shaw. Out of the box the linksys should not require additional setup. It could be an issue with your router. Do they have a setting that puts ftp on an unsual port, other than 21? Check the admin menu. It may be that the router has opened up a different port and is blocking 21 so that the client can't make any connections.

Or is the Linksys's internal firewall filtering port 21 by mistake. You may want to double check it's settings.

Finally, it's possible, as suggested, that there may be something wrong with the router and it's RMA time.

Good Luck.

Also, have you tried a hardware reset?
    Firmware flash?

9. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Thanks for the advice gents. I'll try a few things at home tonight.

Chris, no software firewalls are operating. FTP settings are correct in the client(s).

No, I haven't used my laptop at my friend's place. I've just used his system to login to my FTP accounts at our ISP. (He is on the same service.) I only did this to verify that the accounts are functioning properly. (My laptop doesn't actually have a LAN card. Just the wireless.)

I *believe* that the router has the latest firmware installed.

Here is the thing though.

I think that Shaw (the ISP) does not allow non-Shaw IPs to access their FTP servers. I cannot access the accounts from non-Shaw machines (work, for example). So is it possible that this could be the issue?

I'll give SmartFTP a shot...see if that works.

Also, passive vs. active? I'm not entirely sure of the difference?

Gordon, I'll check to see if port 21 is being filtered.

Thanks guys! If you have any more thoughts, keep 'em coming! [​IMG]

10. Chris Hovanic

11. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

12. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

To be clear, no I can't access from work. [​IMG]

As for passive vs. active, I'll have to check it out tonight. [​IMG]

13. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Okay, well if you can't get on from work, you won't be able to get on from work. I was mostly asking if you couldn't get on from home.

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Update:

Thanks for the help guys! I appear to have got it working. Updated the firmware (not sure it made a difference though), and also downloaded SmartFTP and made sure it was in passive-mode. Everything is now working like a charm. [​IMG] I'm back in business...thanks!!!!

15. Chris Hovanic

killa... way to go tony [​IMG]

16. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Thank YOU for suggesting SmartFTP Chris! Great program!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Chris Hovanic

No prob... happy ftp'n [​IMG]