Linksys WGA54G / anyone using?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Shawn C, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Shawn C

I've gone wireless! I recently bought a laptop as a desktop replacement that has built-in wireless networking (G). I picked up a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. I LOVE IT!

Anyways, has anyone here used the WGA54G "Gaming" access point? It $89.00 at Amazon.com right now after a mail-in rebate. The WAP54G access point is like $5.00 cheaper. I am assuming that these are really the same thing internally, and the "gaming" access point it just in a fancy case. Is this correct?

Should I just look for a better deal on a standard "G" access point? What about the MS access point. It seems to be pretty expensive in comparison.

2. Brian_Dunstan

I just picked up the Linksys Wireless-G Game Adapter last week and it's been working great. I can't speak to whether or not the "game adapter" and the WAP are really the same thing, but the game adapter has worked well so far.

3. David Broome

I use the WRT54G and love it. Have you guys seen this?

firmware

This guy is writing his own firmware (the Linksys code is GPL'd) that adds MANY good enhancements. I especially like the 'Antenna transmit power' setting. The default is %25, but with his firmware, you can up it to 100%. My signal strength in my bedroom went from a 10-25 to 66% and sometimes higher than that.

4. BRADH

David,

Which version did you down load I have the WRT54G looked at the page but not for sure which one to download.

Thanks
    Brad

5. David Broome

I downloaded Version 2.00.8.1h.wfb (Last update: 11/01/2004 - 15: 00 Paris), as that was the last one that was there last time I updated. I had to run it through the updater twice for it to take, and then wait a couple minutes and power cycle the router, but it has been working great ever since. YMMV...