What's new

Linksys WGA54G / anyone using? (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I've gone wireless! I recently bought a laptop as a desktop replacement that has built-in wireless networking (G). I picked up a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. I LOVE IT!

Anyways, has anyone here used the WGA54G "Gaming" access point? It $89.00 at Amazon.com right now after a mail-in rebate. The WAP54G access point is like $5.00 cheaper. I am assuming that these are really the same thing internally, and the "gaming" access point it just in a fancy case. Is this correct?

Should I just look for a better deal on a standard "G" access point? What about the MS access point. It seems to be pretty expensive in comparison.

I just picked up the Linksys Wireless-G Game Adapter last week and it's been working great. I can't speak to whether or not the "game adapter" and the WAP are really the same thing, but the game adapter has worked well so far.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I use the WRT54G and love it. Have you guys seen this?

firmware

This guy is writing his own firmware (the Linksys code is GPL'd) that adds MANY good enhancements. I especially like the 'Antenna transmit power' setting. The default is %25, but with his firmware, you can up it to 100%. My signal strength in my bedroom went from a 10-25 to 66% and sometimes higher than that.

BRADH

Auditioning
David,

Which version did you down load I have the WRT54G looked at the page but not for sure which one to download.

Thanks
Brad

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I downloaded Version 2.00.8.1h.wfb (Last update: 11/01/2004 - 15: 00 Paris), as that was the last one that was there last time I updated. I had to run it through the updater twice for it to take, and then wait a couple minutes and power cycle the router, but it has been working great ever since. YMMV...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks