What's new

Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router Problems (1 Viewer)

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I recently got a BEFSR81 to share a cable connection, and at one point it worked. Then I unplugged it for a while, and now suddenly it won't work. Computers connected to it can't ping or browse to 192.168.1.1 - or even to eachother. They can't lease IPs from the DHCP server. In fact, they can't do much as far as networked PCs go.
I've reset the router several times to no avail. I'm sure it's not the computers themselves, as they go through a regular hub just fine.
Anyone have any ideas?

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I've had this problem before, and it's all a defualt issue. Sometimes they get kinda flakey and need to be powered down, or to have the reset button held in until it goes into default mode.
Is 192.168.1.x the default numbering scheme?(I use a different scheme) If not, look at the manual for the defualt numbering and try that. Is the unit returnable? If so, I urge you to try that befire trying to work with Linksys's support system-it sucks.
Sam

SteveA

Supporting Actor
The Linksys cable/DSL router is a piece of shit, to put it bluntly. I bought one back in May that worked for a couple of weeks - then died. After exchanging the damn thing for ANOTHER non-working Linksys router, I finally switched to the NetGear router. It has worked like a champ for the last four months! The NetGear router also has better documentation and support and is just a better product all the way around.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
My f&*$king Linkysys BEFSR-11 router just died a few minutes ago!
furious.gif

...minutes later...
Well, it's up and running again, but what a pain in the butt...I might still opt for a Netgear tomorrow!
[Edited last by Arthur Legardo on October 12, 2001 at 06:28 PM]

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I was looking into getting the Linksys to connect 3 PC's in my house, plus run one cable to my game systems that will sure to be online playable soon (PS2, Gamecube, Xbox) and switch cables between them depending on which one I'm playing.
But, after reading this thread, and others on the net taling about various problems with the Linksys, this Netgear one has me interested.
Can someone post a link to it, or just let me know what the model number is? Does it function the same as the Linksys, giving me a 10/100 switched network, as well as sharing my cable internet access? Thanks.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
AndyVX, I went to Practically Networked and read several reviews of hardware routers. I noticed that chose the SMC Barricade 7004ABR router as one of their "High Recommended" routers so I went out and looked for one today. Luckily I found out that Futureshop sold SMC products and was able to pick up one of these routers for $139. You may want to look up one of these since not only does it have a great price, but it includes a 4 10/100 switched ports that auto-sense the type of connection/cable meaning that you don't have to worry about using a crossover cable AND it includes a print server!
Great value IMHO.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I've been runing a 4 port Linksys for a year now, and the only problems I had were a) my cable modem's fault and b) a VPN issue that was fixed through a firmware upgrade.
Upgrade firmware.
Upgrade firmware.
Upgrade firmware.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I would upgrade the firmware, but it won't respond to a ping, nor will the admin system load (pretty much the same problem).
This is after what I'm sure amounts to several hundred resets and every possible combination of cables, IP addresses and PCs I could think of. I've officially given up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks