What's new

Link to piece on restoration of Story of a Patriot... (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those with an interest in film restoration, here's a link to Colonial Williamsburg's website and an article on the restoration of their Visitors Center production -- Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot.

http://www.cwf.org/Foundation/journa...04/patriot.cfm

I'm told that it will make its way to DVD late this year.

For further information on the VistaVision process, I suggest a visit to The Wide Screen Museum.

RAH

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi Robert

I read about this in an earlier Bits Column from you that was fascinating to say the least.

I will buy the dvd when it comes out

Cheerio

Oscar

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe the plan is late summer, after the replacement of screens and lamphouses to totally update their projection systems.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I was down in Alexandria VA today, and saw something about if you fill out this paper with your address and email, you get a complimentary copy of "Story of a Patriot" on DVD and information about visiting Williamsburg VA. I've been looking over the Williamsburg websites to find out more information to forward to other HTF members, but if you are at any site that the Jamestown 400th anniversary replica ship sails on the east coast in the next few weeks, stop by the visitor booths and try to find the booth with this offer.

John Skoda

Second Unit
Does anyone know if this DVD is anamorphic and stereo? I bought a VHS tape of this film in Williamsburg a year or two ago, and it was pan/scan and mono.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The DVD is both anamorphic as well as 5.1, derived from the original Todd-AO 70mm format.

It does however, have a very basic compression format.

RAH

TedD

Supporting Actor
Huh???? The original element was Vistavision, not Todd-AO.

If this gets released in HD-DVD, sourced from the restored digital VV master, I'll be all over it.....

Ted

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris

This high resolution digital film scanner, is it higher than what film can possibly deliver, I read somewhere that “DLP” is less resolution than 65mm or 15perf “IMAX” so what sort of cost are we talking about to restore “The Patriot” 1957.

Is there an example of what “differential shrinkage” sounds like the frames won’t mach up, something like that, and 21,000 CD’s WOW! Now that’s is a bundle, I doubt very much there would be room to swing a cat in, with all those CD’s!

It’s amazing, the amount of data the eye sees in a day! Much less, a feature film that only runs for a few hours.

Good heavens above Robert’ “fourteen terabytes” what type of computers are you running there, “Cray super computers” I have heard there is a new data storage system that is 3-D holograph, produced by “IBM.” I’m not very bright when it comes down to computers, computers are mealy a valid tool for the user, and I find the some of its use, indispensable.

Looks like I picked the wrong day to watch those clips Robert as my pc started to cow up! But I read the article fascinating.

Final question, just how long is this film, I thought “Cleopatra” was longest running time for a motion picture?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ruling out "foreign" films (there are many longer than Cleopatra), we have:

The Godfather: The Complete Epic (1981) Francis Ford Coppola, 386 min.

OK, it could be argued that it's a TV version.

Hotel Terminus: The Life and Times... (1987) Marcel Ophüls, 267 min.

Alright, it's a documentary.
But:

Renaldo and Clara (1978) Bob Dylan, 292 min.
Gettysburg (1993) Ronald Maxwell, 248 min.

and only then:

Cleopatra (1963) Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 243 min.

:)

Cees

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"Longest running" meaning continually screening since opening in 1957.

RAH

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Robert,

Very interesting article. Thanks for directing us to it.
Nice picture of you! The story about your son's reaction is grand.

I must admit here ( ), I didn't even know about this movie. Will buy the DVD as soon as it comes out!

Longest running indeed! That's even longer than the longest running British show (play), The Mousetrap (by Agatha Christie), which premiered on 12th April 1958 in London.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's the restored version? Great, thanks!

Later: They don't ship abroad, but I'll see if I can get it from my usual i-net retailer (or else on Amazon).

Cees

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
We live near Williamsburg and have had a VHS copy of this for years. I guess it's time to trade up.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
We visited and toured Colonial Williamsburg on a short family vacation last October, my first trip there since I was less than 10 years old. Got to see the restored "Story of a Patriot" in the visitor center. I have been getting a lot of mailings from The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation ever since. Yesterday a free copy of the DVD arrived in the mail (although a request to provide a gift to the foundation is included).

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Mr Harris, do you know whether there's any plans/interest/likelihood in presenting Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot on Blu-ray?

Large-format VistaVision, historical significance, record-setting theatrical run, restoration by your good self... this surely demands an HD release!

Edit: I'm tempted to buy the restoration DVD, but would much prefer an HD presentation if one is forthcoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks