Link for switchbox used for DVD-A/SACD ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Aug 23, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Does anyone have a picture or a link of the box people are using to switch between there DVD-A and SACD players ?.....If you happen to have one, is there any signal loss or a downgrade in the units performance going through this box ?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Some people are using multiple Radio Shack swithcers, the Sony ES preamp or http://home.attbi.com/~shawnfogg/. I have not tried anything yet. My DVD-A player is in the bedroom system which backs to the main system and is connected to the main system all the time in 2-channel and I made a long 6-channel cable if I want to swap with the SACD player. I guess I am hoping for the potential for a DVD-A digital out (not holding my breath) and also hoping that my preamp will be upgraded to accept it and then I can have the best of both worlds. If it does not eventually happen, I will consider the alternatives.

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Phil, thanks.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, I use two Radio Shack switch boxes. They are $15 each, and the part number is 15-1952. You should be able to find it on radioshack.com by searching for model number 15-1952. These switch boxes are available online or in the stores.

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Keith, do they effect the sound quality at all ?

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, to my ears, the Radio Shack switch boxes have no adverse effect on sound quality. I should have mentioned that in my previous post. Sorry for the omission.

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm confused... regarding that RadioShack switcher Keith recommends, part no. 15-1952, you're saying it will switch between the 5.1 inputs of an SACD player and those of a DVD-A player? It doesn't appear to have even a single set of 5.1 inputs, much less two. What am I missing?

8. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Rich, you need to purchase two sets of boxes.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rich, as I said to Anthony, I use two of the Radio Shack 15-1952 A/V switch boxes to switch between SACD and DVD-Audio. Each switch box has two A/V inputs (left and right audio and composite video) and one output. The inputs are marked 'A' and 'B', and there is an A/B switch on the top of the box. Here is how I use the switch boxes:
    Box 1
    Input A: DVD-Audio front left, front right, and center
    Input B: SACD front left, front right, and center
    Output: Front left, front right, and center to receiver's 5.1-channel inputs
    Box 2
    Input A: DVD-Audio rear left, rear right, and subwoofer
    Input B: SACD rear left, rear right, and subwoofer
    Output: Rear left, and rear right, and subwoofer to receiver's 5.1-channel inputs
    Hope that helps.

10. David Nolan

David Nolan Stunt Coordinator

on a slightly related note, say i only owned stereo sacd's for now and just wanted to run the l/r outs to my cd ins on my receiver rather than the 5.1 inputs. would that work? then i could leave my dvd-a plugged into the 5.1 inputs

thanks

david

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, absolutely. You can use the stereo analog outputs on your SACD player for both CDs and stereo SACDs.

12. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

David,
    That should work, if your front speakers are full range, and if you turn bass management off on your player, and select analog direct (or it's equivalent) on your receiver.
    Otherwise, if the player is performing bass management, the bass will go nowhere, and if the receiver isn't in analog mode it (the receiver) will convert the analog signal to digital to perform bass management, most likely degrading the sound.
    Tom